Sunday, July 15, 2012

Xor: The Shape of Darkness by Moshe Sipper Review

Xor: The Shape of Darkness
Reading Level: Young Adult/ Middle Grade
Self Published
Source: Author
Not sure weather or not this is part of a series
*this was gifted to me by author for review*
On his twelfth birthday Lewis Nash comes home from school to find that his house has blown up to smithereens, killing his father. Having lost his mother in an accident four years earlier, Lewis realizes he is now an orphan — but he has no time to dwell on it. The moment he gets off the school bus a fearsome wolf-man tries to grab him. The boy is saved in the nick of time by Master Long, who reveals to him that he’s a Shaper from a place called Xor, which is being devoured by the Realm Pirates. Lewis learns that he must do his utmost to become the powerful Shaper he was destined to be.
Because, it would seem, he’s the one and only chance Xor has.



Review
Middle grade is either a hit or miss for me. I either love it or hate it. I didn't think I was going to like this very much. It felt a little too young for me. I ended up really enjoying it even though it was a little young. I loved the concept. The characters were great. It was a very unique story.


Lewis annoyed me at first. He asked way too many questions. He grew on me. He had a good personality even though he asked too many questions throughout the entire book. I liked how he never gave up. He was thrown into this new world, with all these powers and he handled it very maturely. He really grew throughout the story. I'm proud of him. This has some pretty awesome secondary characters. They were all like a big family, all trying to accomplish the same goal. It kinda reminded me of Percy Jackson. I lived the wide variety of characters.


This has a very adventurous storyline. It's very unique. It was also very fast paced. There was always something differently crazy going on. I really loved how different this book really was. It didn't end open so I'm not sure about a sequel. I hope there is a sequel because I would enjoy reading it. Overall I think this was a very well done story. I enjoyed it a lot. I'm glad I got the chance to read it and I highly recommend. 4/5 stars


Jasmine <3

1 comment: