Monday, July 23, 2012

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian (Lux, #1)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Entangled Teen
First in the Lux series

Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don't kill him first, that is.


So I'm guessing you've probably heard of Jennifer Armentrout. She went from a small author to a best seller in what seemed like overnight and she pops out amazing books like the Duggers pop out kids. Before Obsidian I'd only read her other book Half-blood and I absolutely loved it. I've been waiting to read Obsidian for what feels like ages. I'd heard nothing but good things from everyone I knew and Daemon was practically famous. Plus I had never read a book about aliens before so I was really excited. Needless to say it was everything I expected to be and it completely exceeded my expectations.

Katy didn't want to leave Florida and all her memories of her dad who's death still hurts after three years. She especially didn't want to leave Florida for a tiny town in West Virginia. Then she spots Daemon next door and thinks that maybe it might not that bad. It turns out that seeing his abs before he opens his mouth doesn't turn out to well. Because despite how good that mouth looks what comes out of it totally ruins the appeal. Luckily Katy doesn't just keep her mouth shut and let it happen but more on that later. There's something different about him and his twin sister Dee who happens to be almost exactly his opposite. They have too many secrets and Daemon seems determined that Katy and Dee aren't friends for no reason that Katy can think of. When she finds out that the twins were actually triplets once and that there's another set that moved into town at almost the exact same time she knows something is up. All the mystery builds up and once the truth is revealed the plot never slows down.

I absolutely adored Katy. Since she was a book blogger she was very easy to relate to and I loved how loyal she was and how she reacted to how Daemon treated her. It was refreshing that she didn't let him push her around and didn't look the other way when he insulted her. She actually did the exact opposite. She was mean right back, gave him the finger a number of times and even dumped food on him once. I loved it. Now onto Daemon. How do I explain him? He was mean and he kept pushing Katy away and yes more often than not he was a dickhead (to put it in Katy's words) but under it all you could tell there was more to him. And I understood why he acted the way he did. He didn't want what happened to his brother to happen to his sister too and he was afraid it would happen to him. So he tried to keep Katy at a distance until the mark went away and keep her away from Dee. And I loved him for it. No I didn't particularly like his mean side but there was times when another side of him came out and I totally understood why everyone is so obsessed with him. Dee was awesome. She tried to keep Daemon in check but her relationship with him was really sweet at the same time. She just wanted to be Katy's friend despite everything and was always on her side. She was the best friend Katy could have asked for. I think me and Dee would get along as long as she didn't touch my ice cream and I didn't touch hers. I would love to hang out with Katy and Dee. We would have the best sleepovers.

Katy and Daemon's relationship was incredibly entertaining. At the beginning they hated each other and then it was dislike and then tolerance and by the end even though they still fought and made the other insane you could tell that they really liked each other even though they didn't want to admit it. They were so back and forth all the time and there was this tension between them and it kept building and building until they finally did something about it. Believe me when they did it was worth the wait. But even though they go past the point of just being friends they still don't get together. Even though it made me crazy Katy did the right thing and hopefully Daemon will change his ways a little. Katy deserves to have someone fight for her and Daemon despite how much I love him deserves to not get everything he wants all the time. Daemon has got his work cut out for him. Katy is stubborn. I can't wait to see what happens with them in the next one. And those little extras from Daemon's perspective were so adorable. If Katy wasn't so awesome I wouldn't have minded if the whole book was told from his perspective.

This book was like nothing I've ever read but it reminded me of all my favorites at the same time. I loved learning about aliens and it was cool to see Jennifer Armentrout's interpretation of them. The plot was fast paced and I never wanted to put it down. I was constantly on the edge of my seat. Around the last fifty pages I couldn't turn the pages fast enough and then once I turned the last one I wished there was more. I need the next one like burning. Luckily there's only less than a month left. That's still to much time.
5/5 stars

-Marissa

6 comments:

  1. I read Obsidian recently, too, and I wanted to smack myself for not reading it sooner. It was so good! And yeah, it's best for everyone if Dee's ice cream remains untouched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have read it sooner if my bookstore had it and I wasn't so stubborn about not just borrowing it. I knew I would love it. I'm sure me and Dee could share :) -M

      Delete
  2. Yay! Welcome to the Daemon club! Glad to see that you loved it. I, too, just recently read it and loved it. Such a great book! I can't wait for Onyx next month to see what will happen next.
    Great review!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Daemon club is pretty nice :) I'm actually kind of happy that I didn't read it sooner because the days counting down for Onyx is less. I want to read it so bad. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. So I seriously need to read this book. Everyone is so in love with it, so I'm glad that you are as well! =) I will definitely have to pick up this book sometime soon. Or maybe I'll ask you to buy it for me after I win the Reading Games. ;)

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should read it. It's not like anything I've ever read. I thought you already have a book picked out?
      -M

      Delete