Sunday, August 19, 2012

Showtime by Chloe Kayne Review

Showtime
Reading Level: Young Adult
Self Published
Source: Author
Firstbook in Marvelle Circus series
*This was gifted to me by author for review*
The grandeur of the traveling circus is at its peak in the early 1920s when sixteen-year-old Laila Vilonia is searching for an escape from her bleak future. Behind the gates of the legendary Marvelle Circus, she is thrust into a mysterious world she never knew existed—a paradise populated with outcasts. It’s in this glamorous new home that Laila sparks a controversial romance with notorious sideshow performer, "The Disappearing Man," and learns just how dangerous her new life can be.
Touring the picturesque eastern coast of America, Laila’s immersed in friendship, vaudeville, festivals, sequins, and serial killers. But behind the curtain, a sadistic plan is brewing that will crack the very foundation upon which she’s become so dependent.


Review
This was such an amazing read. This had one of the most unique story lines I've ever read. The setting was fascinating. The characters were so amazing. This has everything a great book needs. Once I really got into it, I never wanted to put it down. I kept thinking to myself this would be an amazing movie. I can't wait to see where the rest of the series goes.

I really liked Laila. I like how she never gave up. She wasn't happy with her life so she made a new life for herself. Her character really evolved throughout the book. She became an amazing aerialist and really made the circus her home. I didn't really understand Dex. His character confused me a lot. I liked him but I wish we could have gotten to know his jars tee more. Laila and Dex had an adorable relationship. They were super adorable. I liked how he was very protective over her. I hope we get to learn more about him on future books. This had some pretty amazing secondary characters. I liked how they really cared about Laila.

The setting was my favorite part. It made me want to go to the circus. It also made me want to do something adventurous just to know that I could. There was so many unique aspects to the storyline. So much creativity. I loved it. I also loved the mystery. It made me not want to stop reading. Also I really loved the aerialist aspect. I thought that was the coolest thing ever. And all the detail that came with it. I felt like I was right there in the stands. I loved all the different acts at the circus. This was impossible for me to put down because of all the excitement. Overall I am so glad I read this. I can't wait to see where the rest of the series is going to go. I highly recommend because I really love this. 5/5 stars

Jasmine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment