Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Review: As You Wish by Jackson Pearce

As You Wish
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Harper Teen
Source: Bought
Stand alone

Ever since Viola's boyfriend broke up with her, she has spent her days silently wishing—to have someone love her again and, more importantly, to belong again—until one day she inadvertently summons a young genie out of his world and into her own. He will remain until she makes three wishes.
Jinn is anxious to return home, but Viola is terrified of wishing, afraid she will not wish for the right thing, the thing that will make her truly happy. As the two spend time together, the lines between master and servant begin to blur, and soon Jinn can't deny that he's falling for Viola. But it's only after Viola makes her first wish that she realizes she's in love with Jinn as well . . . and that if she wishes twice more, he will disappear from her life—and her world—forever.
Jackson Pearce spins a magical tale about star-crossed lovers, what it means to belong . . . and how important it is to be careful what you wish for.

I've wanted to read this book for ages but sadly my bookstore doesn't have it. So when I saw it at a conference I went to (Jackson was doing a signing) I immediately bought it. I loved Sisters Red and I'd never read a book about genies before. I think it's awesome that Jackson Pearce wrote something that really hasn't been written about very much. At least that I know of. On one hand I wish there was more books like this one out there but at the same time I kind of want this to be my one favorite genie book.

Viola feels a lot of different things. Ever since Lawrence her best friend turned boyfriend broke up with her and became her gay best friend she feels like she doesn't belong anymore. She feels broken. Invisible. All she wants is to feel like she belongs somewhere and all that wanting summons a jinn. A wish granter. This wish granter-who Viola names Jinn-thinks this will be an easy in and out job and then he can go home. But Viola isn't stupid. She's not going to wish for Lawrence back or to not be invisible or something that might make her temporarily happy. So she waits and pretty soon she's doesn't want to wish but not because she doesn't have one she thinks is worth but because if she makes three wishes he leaves. And Jinn doesn't want to leave either.

I thought Viola was awesome. Like I said she didn't make petty wishes as soon as she could. She knew she couldn't just wish to feel whole and feel whole. I liked how she wasn't angry at Lawrence. I felt really bad for her. I love how it switched perspectives so you got to see it from Viola and Jinn. I absolutely adored Jinn. He wasn't like the normal bad boy types-not that I don't enjoy those-that you normally see in YA. It was refreshing. He was sweet and innocent and he was all confused about how he felt about Viola. It was super cute. I actually really liked Lawrence. It wasn't his fault what he did to Viola. That's just who he is. He didn't mean to hurt her and he was always there for her. I liked reading about how all the side characters lives changed with different wishes.

This book was a lot deeper than I thought it would be. It was all about feeling broken and learning to feel whole on your own. It was a nice message and there was a lot of character growth. It was also nearly impossible to stop reading. I started it and then a few hours later I had to force myself to stop reading. I wanted to read until it got cute and that took a while. I knew that if I got to the last fifty pages or so I would have to finish it. But when Jinn and Viola did get cute they were absolutely adorable. I wish there was more cute with them. I could read about them being cute forever.

I thought this book was amazing. It was addicting and wonderful. I never wanted to stop reading and I never wanted to end. I'm sad that it's a stand alone. Oh well I'll just have to come up with my own epilogue :).

-Marissa

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you got to go to Jackson's signing! That's awesome.

    On an unrelated tangent, I've never been to a signing, and even though I love authors and books, I don't think that I would want to. I'm frightfully shy, so unlike many people, I've never wanted to meet celebrities, even if they're small celebrities like authors.

    But on a related tangent, awesome review. I've got Sister's Red right now and I'm enjoying it. I didn't know she wrote this book, so I will be reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackson is awesome :)
      You should go to a signing! Believe me I'm shy too and authors are just like celebrities to me. I get nervous and shy and I almost always forget what I wanted to ask them and just stand there smiling like a crazy person. But authors are always so nice and are used to it and I walk away an even bigger fan than before. So don't let your shyness get in the way because authors are the best celebrities ever.

      Sister's Red is amazing. I hope you love it like I did :) -M

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete