Saturday, August 25, 2012

Review: Pure by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Pure (Covenant, #2)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Source: Bought
Second in the Covenant series

There is need. And then there is Fate...

Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's "other half" is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her.

When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon... and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude... or killing her.

When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.


*This is a review for the sequel to Half-blood if you haven't read that you're seriously missing out and should do that before you read this*

I read Half-blood last year and completely fell in love. With the world, the mythology, the characters and especially Aiden. I was incredibly excited to read this. I loved returning to the world and all the characters I missed and of course Aiden. Though I knew he would make me feel depressed. Even though this book was a little depressing for my poor Aiden loving heart I thought it was an amazing sequel to an amazing book and made me love the series even more.

Alex is back as her kicking butt and take names self or more like her throwing apples and having nightmares self. After stopping her mom and learning what she really is her life hasn't gotten any less crazy. She still has training with Aiden-the Aiden who she once shared a bed with-plus Apollyon training with Seth-the infuriating Seth who she has a weird connection with-and a Council with the Covenant coming up-the Covenant who is very suspicious of her and could send her into servitude at any time. There is a lot on Alex's shoulders and there's stuff coming at her at all times. The oh so forbidden Aiden is getting closer only to pull away farther than ever and the far to eager Seth is her only relief from her constant nightmares. On top of that she loses someone very important to her and blames herself.

About the Aiden/Seth situation. If you haven't already guessed I love Aiden. He's such an amazing character. He tries so hard to do what he thinks is right even if it means denying what he wants most. He would do absolutely anything for Alex except for the one thing they both want because he couldn't live with himself if he took everything from her. It makes me crazy. There were parts between them that we so intense and sad that it made my heart ache. Both Aiden and Alex come to terms with how they really feel about each other and the fact that that is the last thing they're allowed feel. Stupid pure and half-blood rule. Now onto the other corner of the love-triangle, Seth. From the beginning he annoyed me I got to know him better in this one but it didn't make him annoy me any less. There's still a lot he's not telling about himself and it makes me suspicious. Pure seemed a very Seth book. There was a lot of him and every time Alex needed help and someone would show up I would hope it was Aiden and it was almost always Seth. I just don't really like his personality and I think it clashes with Alex's too much. If she chose him I think she would be settling for something not real just Apollyon connection caused. Their banter is really entertaining but I think they would be better off as friends.

This book was a roller-coaster of emotions for me. I was hopeful, sad, furious, confused, breathless. Every time I had something figured out there would be a huge twist or betrayal. The last 100 pages or so I couldn't stop reading. So much was happening and it was so action packed but all the action was never boring. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time and when I turned the last page I was in shock. The stakes are set so much higher for the next book. Which I would do anything to get my hands on. November please come faster.
5/5 stars.

-Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment