Thursday, August 2, 2012

Ruby by Amanda Burke Review

Ruby (Ruby, #1)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Create Space
Source: Author
First book in Ruby series
*This was gifted to me by author for review*
During the Salem witch hunts, an evil witch named Natasha Sullivan tricks a demon into confining himself inside an enchanted music box. She casts a spell that foretells that the demon will emerge in an unknown time in future after the birth of a child known as the Lumen Child. This child’s destiny is to bring light to the planet and Natasha knows that if he is killed then darkness will prevail. Natasha’s identical twin Sarah, discovers what her sister has done. Although she cannot break the spell she casts her own prophecy. It states that three witches known as the Triple Enchantresses will be born in the same time as the Lumen Child and they will be his supernatural protectors. The girls are not sisters, yet they will share a common destiny. Ruby is the story of the first witch and how she very nearly dies before discovering her true identity. Having grown up unaware of her powers, she is rescued by her loving grandmother who is also a white witch and taken back to the family estate where she learns everything she can about what her future holds. Ruby is the first in a four book series.

Review
I think this has a very unique concept to it. It took me a long time to read it. I liked the story a lot and the characters were great. I found this sorta a build up for the rest of the series. There wasn't a lot of action, it was more about the characters. Which I liked because I really enjoyed the characters. I'm super excited to see where this series is going to go.

The characters were very well done. Ruby had a great personality. Her life had been really going downhill and I think it got a lot better when she discovered what she was. She seemed really excited to learn and grow as a witch.One thing I didn't get was she supposedly had all this power but it didn't really show her using it much. I was excited to see her use them and she didn't very often. That's something I think will change in the next book. Mostly because she had a lot of learning to do and now that shes learned she can use what she learned. I absolutely loved Ester. She was so sweet. I'm glad Ruby had someone to be her family. I also really enjoyed Walters character. I hope we see more of him in the future. As for Blaine, my feelings are a little mixed. I liked his strong personality but he didn't really play that big of a part. I feel like he will have a bigger part to play in the future. Ruby and Blaine had quite the relationship. It seemed really one sided. It was obvious that Ruby had feelings for him but he acted like he didn't return them. Then all of the sudden he was in love with her. That was a little fast but I look forward to their relationship in the rest of the series.

I really loved the magical aspect of the plot. There was so much attention to detail with the world. That was one of my favorite parts. The plot was a little slow at times. There wasn't much action. It was more characters than anything else. Overall I really enjoyed this. It had a lot of aspects I liked. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. I highly recommend. 4/5 stars

Jasmine <3

No comments:

Post a Comment