Friday, August 10, 2012

Series Love #8: Rick Riordan edition

Series Love is a meme we came up with. There are so many amazing book series out there. We love to share the love and help spread the word. If you want to play along all you have to do is pick a series. It doesn’t matter if it only has one book or a million. Include authors name and the covers of the books.

In honor of Percy Jackson's birthday next Saturday I decided to have a Rick Riordan themed week. I did a Waiting on Wednesday and an Author Love and now for my series love I'm going to do all of Rick Riordan's series  :)


Percy Jackson and the Olympians
This was really the original series. It was also one of the first experiences I had of reading a book and wanting the next one and the roller-coaster ride of being attached to characters during the ups and downs that they go through. They all grow up throughout the series and I cheered with them and cried with them and especially laughed with them. I've reread these books multiple times and I still think about the characters and my favorite scenes all the time. These books are timeless and I think anyone can read and enjoy them and I know I always will.










The Heroes of Olympus
This is a spin off of the Percy Jackson series. Just when you've pictured a nice peaceful life for the characters from the first series these books come out and all the peace you imagined is blown away. The great things about these books is the characters you love from the Percy books are mixed in with lots of new characters to love. Believe me if you thought that the characters went through a lot before this series will change your mind. Rick Riordan does a great job of making you love all these characters and then putting them through awful stuff and tearing your poor fangirl (or boy whichever works) heart out. It gets all twisty and tons of new stuff is revealed about this world that you thought you knew and you never get any answers. It's just crazy y'all. I love it. If it isn't obvious this series isn't finished yet and if you have an internet connection you know that we're all going crazy for The Mark of Athena. Less than two months :)



















The Kane Chronicles
Last but certainly not least. This is Rick Riordan's Egyptian mythology trilogy. It follows brother and sister Sadie and Carter and it's written like they are recording themselves telling you the story. It's just awesome. There's so much character growth and it's one of those series where you sit back and try to figure out how the author comes up with this stuff. There's a ton of new, fabulous characters with the same humour and originality as the other series. Anything to do with Egypt used to creep me out a little but now I think it's fascinating. I didn't know it was a trilogy until about a month before The Serpents Shadow was released and when I found out I freaked out. I didn't want to say goodbye to any of the characters. Especially Khufu.

I love all of Rick Riordan's series. I can't wait for his Norse mythology (that's right Thor and Loki) series that's set to come out in 2015. I will read anything he writes. If you haven't read his books before I am begging to read them. You won't regret it. 

-Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment