Friday, August 10, 2012

Moonglass Jessi Kirby Review

Moonglass
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Source: Won
Standalone
From Jessi Kirby, a debut novel about confronting the past in order to move ahead.
I read once that water is a symbol for emotions. And for a while now, I've thought maybe my mother drowned in both.
Anna's life is upended when her father accepts a job transfer the summer before her junior year. It's bad enough that she has to leave her friends and her life behind, but her dad is moving them to the beach where her parents first met and fell in love- a place awash in memories that Anna would just as soon leave under the surface.
While life on the beach is pretty great, with ocean views and one adorable lifeguard in particular, there are also family secrets that were buried along the shore years ago. And the ebb and flow of the ocean's tide means that nothing- not the sea glass that she collects on the sand and not the truths behind Anna's mother's death- stays buried forever.



Review
This was quite the story. At times it was pretty confusing. I had trouble keeping track of what was going on a little. This has a really moving storyline. There was so many different aspects to it. I really enjoyed this and I can't wait for Jessi Kirby to write something else.

I really liked Anna. I like how strong she was. She had a really hard life but she made the most of it. I felt like I could relate to her because if her love of water and running. She seemed very real to me. I liked how she never gave up. At first I didn't like Tyler. I thought he had a bad attitude. He grew on me. I ended up really liking his character. I liked how he didn't rush their relationship and how he was always there for Anna.  I think relationships are a big part of this story. The relationship between Anna and her father played a huge part. I'm glad they somewhat patched things up.

This had a lot of unique qualities. I love the sea glass. I think that's such a cool part of the story. It made me want to go hunt for some. I also loved the setting. I liked the beach and all the cottages. I found myself confused at times but Anna had some moments when she was confused so. I really liked the mystery aspect of the story. It made me not want to put it down. Overall I really enjoyed this. It had a lot of things I liked. It was just a nice read. 4/5 stars

Jasmine <3

No comments:

Post a Comment