Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Fathomless by Jackson Pearce Review

Fathomless (Fairytale Retellings, #3)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Little Brown
Source: Conference
Third book in Fairytale Retellings series
Celia Reynolds is the youngest in a set of triplets and the one with the least valuable power. Anne can see the future, and Jane can see the present, but all Celia can see is the past. And the past seems so insignificant -- until Celia meets Lo.
Lo doesn't know who she is. Or who she was. Once a human, she is now almost entirely a creature of the sea -- a nymph, an ocean girl, a mermaid -- all terms too pretty for the soulless monster she knows she's becoming. Lo clings to shreds of her former self, fighting to remember her past, even as she's tempted to embrace her dark immortality.
When a handsome boy named Jude falls off a pier and into the ocean, Celia and Lo work together to rescue him from the waves. The two form a friendship, but soon they find themselves competing for Jude's affection. Lo wants more than that, though. According to the ocean girls, there's only one way for Lo to earn back her humanity. She must persuade a mortal to love her . . . and steal his soul.


Review
I love this book so much. I love fairytale retellings and the little mermaid is my favorite Disney movie. I really liked how scary the mermaids were. I never would have thought mermaids could be that scary. I really like how this is so different than the little mermaid. Jackson Pearce really made this her own story.

I loved Celia. She was so sweet. I loved how she was willing to do anything she could to help. Her sisters were pretty annoying. I can't imagine being stuck with them. Their powers were cool though. Lo/Nadia confused me a little bit. It was so hard to tell who was who and who was good and who was bad. Sometimes she was super creepy and sometimes she was perfectly normal. I will say I liked Nadia better until the last 50 or so pages. I loved Jude. He was so cute. I would fight over him too. Although, it didn't really seem like Nadia and Celia were fighting over him. It was pretty clear who he wanted to be with.

This had a pretty exciting storyline. Most of the excitement was in either the beginning or the end. It focused more on the characters than the plot. It was incredibly hard for me to put this down so it wasn't slow at all. The concept of this is so unique. It was fast paced with super scary exciting twists. I loved every second. I couldn't get enough then I was sad it was over. Overall I adored this in case you can't tell. Jackson Pearce has become a favorite of mine. I've read almost every book of hers. I highly recommend this one. 5/5 stars

Jasmine <3

No comments:

Post a Comment