Monday, January 21, 2013

While He Was Away by Karen Shreck Review

While He Was Away
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Source: Bought
Stand Alone
One year--he'll be gone for one year and then we'll be together again and everything will be back to the way it should be.
The day David left, I felt like my heart was breaking. Sure, any long-distance relationship is tough, but David was going to war--to fight, to protect, to put his life in danger. We can get through this, though. We'll talk, we'll email, we won't let anything come between us.
I can be an army girlfriend for one year. But will my sweet, soulful, funny David be the same person when he comes home? Will I? And what if he doesn't come home at all?...
"A tender and honest examination of love, longing, and loyalty in the face of modern war."--Laura Ruby, author of Bad Apple
"While He Was Away is a wonderful love story with writing that is skillful and true."--Amy Timberlake, author of That Girl Lucy Moon


Review
This was quite an interesting read. I've never really read something like this. It wasn't really what I was expecting. I expected it to be about David's life in the military and not so much Renna's life while coping. I was mistaken though. I did learn a lot from it though and it was a pretty good read.

Renna really grew throughout the story. She was vastly different at the end. I really enjoyed her character. I liked how devoted she was to David. But, I'm glad she learned to live her life without him. She kept herself nice and busy and you could really see the results. One thing I didn't like was how David's story didn't get included. Who knows what happened to him. I wished we would have gotten like a 5 years later or something. Just to satisfy my curiosity. I can't imagine what it would be like to have a loved one in the military. A lot of people due though. This helped me realize what those people go through. That wasn't something I ever took the time to think about but I should have.

I really loved the storyline in this. I liked watching Renna grow. I enjoyed her story. I thought it was cool how she picked up the pieces of her family. For me I couldn't put it down because I wanted to know what was going to happen with David. Because of that I don't think I fully enjoyed the story. I was too focused on David. I honestly think that's the reason I didn't enjoy this as much as I could have. It was a very nice read though. I think it's a book that everyone could take something from. I'm glad I read it and I highly recommend.


Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment