Monday, January 7, 2013

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson Review

The Sky Is Everywhere
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Dial
Source: Bought
Stand Alone
Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life - and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey's boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie's own. Joe is the new boy in town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they're the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can't collide without the whole wide world exploding.
This remarkable debut is perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Francesca Lia Block. Just as much a celebration of love as it is a portrait of loss, Lennie's struggle to sort her own melody out of the noise around her is always honest, often hilarious, and ultimately unforgettable.



Review
I'm not sure if I can even form words for this book. I can see why it's so popular. It was absolutely amazing. I loved every page. I started it and didn't put it down till I finished it(which happened to be two am). The storyline was beautiful. The characters were amazing. I'm warning you that this will be a very fan girly review. I apologize in advance.

I really liked Lennie. She had an amazing personality. I liked how complex she was. I liked how relatable she was. She really grew throughout the story. I liked that she learned from her mistakes and tried to make them right. Lennie and Jo were the most adorable couple in the world. They were by far my favorite part. I liked that they took things slow. I liked how I could really see their relationship growing. Does anyone know where I can find a Jo? I swear he was the most amazing character. I loved him so much. I think that even though I didn't like Lennie with Toby he was still a big part of the story. Both Lennie and Toby grew and I enjoyed reading about it.

This had a very moving storyline. I took a lot from it. I've never had to deal with the loss of a family member(knocks on wood). It was cool to see how much people in those type of situations really do have to go through. It's not a walk in the park. This was sad at times but happy at others. I read this in about 6 hours. I finished it in the middle of the night. All I could think about when I finished it was "gosh that was amazing". Overall this was an absolutely amazing read. I loved it so much. If you haven't read this one, I highly recommend doing so. Then we can fan girl together :).



Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment