Friday, August 24, 2012

Series Love #10: Across the Universe Trilogy

Series Love is a meme we came up with. There are so many amazing book series out there. We love to share the love and help spread the word. If you want to play along all you have to do is pick a series. It doesn’t matter if it only has one book or a million. Include authors name and the covers of the books.


My pick this week is The Across the Universe Trilogy by Beth Revis




On top is the original first two covers and on the bottom is the new covers. The old ones top are some of my all time favorite covers but I think the new ones fit the books very well. This is one of my favorite series ever. As soon as I saw the cover for Across the Universe I wanted to read it so bad. When I did I was blown away. It's set in space obviously and it's one of the first-if not the only-sci-fi book I've read. I've never read anything like it. A Million Suns is one of those sequels that completely lives up to the first one and isn't at all filler. I think it's awesome how Beth Revis can pull off a book series in space with no aliens (yet) and without making it seem like a cheap sci-fi channel movie. There's explosions and space talk but there isn't so much of it that it gets boring or goes over your head. Amy is an awesome heroine. She's doesn't let people see her weak or push her around. I don't know how she does it. I would be a puddle of tears on the floor if I was in her situation. Elder is one of my all time favorite heroes. He's not like all the other ones. He's realistic and flawed and unsure of himself. His character growth throughout the books from an awkward, quiet trainee to a leader and the things he goes through to make that change are amazing. I love the romance in these books. There's hints of it in the first one and more in the second (and hopefully lots in the third). There's not so much of it that it would make some readers roll their eyes but there's not too little that's it's boring. The tension between Amy and Elder is so intense that sometimes I want to grab their heads and be like okay now kiss but I love how Beth Revis twisted it so that it's not girl sees guy and falls in love immediately instead it's guy sees girl and falls head over heels and girls like I'm not so sure I want this right now. It's different. If you haven't read this series yet you don't know what you're missing. There's explosions and stars and mystery and kissy scenes all balanced out perfectly. Go read them and then we can anxiously wait for Shades of Earth together.

-Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment