Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The First by Sara Zaske Review

The First
Reading Level:Young Adult
Self Published
First book in a possible series
*this was gifted to me by author for review*
Cassie Craig is not the chosen one. Not even close.
She's just an ordinary, 15-year-old California girl with a few problems. She talks too much. She has a crush on a guy in her school. She worries about her dad who is a Marine in Afghanistan.
Then, there's her new friend, Violet Starkey. The weirdest girl in school, Violet comes from a group of magical people who claim to be the first on earth.
When Cassie discovers that Violet has powers over nature, she will do anything to be her friend--all for the chance Violet might help bring her dad home.
But Cassie isn't the only one who wants Violet's powers, and she soon finds out just how dangerous it is to be the true friend of one of the most powerful magical beings in the world.


Review
I wasn't sure about this when I started it. It was kinda slow and one of the characters annoyed me a little bit. It picked up and I ended up liking that character more than I thought I would. I liked the concept the most. It is so unique. I hope there is a sequel because I think there is so much you could do with it.

Cassie never bothered me. I really liked her. I like how she gave Violet a chance before judging her. Violet annoyed me in the first half. She kinda grew on me. I liked her powers and how she finally stood up for herself in the end. She might have the most insane family I've ever read about/ I swear they were kinda scary. Talk about a controlling family.

I think everyone's powers was the coolest part of the storyline. It seemed like the whole book was about her grandfather. It almost like revolved around him. It seemed like he was controlling the story and I didn't really get that. I loved all the action in the end. That being said I think the first half should have had more excitement. I ended up liking the second half better than the first. Overall I really liked this. I hope there is a sequel because I would love to read more about the first people :). 4/5 stars

Jasmine <3

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading your reviews. This sounds like a good book. I stopped by to tell you that I’ve nominated you for a Beautiful Blogger Award. See http://scarlettrainssistersoftheheartsblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/ive-been-nominated-for-beautiful.html
    For details.

    ReplyDelete