Monday, May 14, 2012

The Finishing of Lady Amelia by Scarlett Rains Review

The Finishing of Lady Amelia, Prequel to Betrayals of the Heart (Sisters of the Heart Series)
Reading Level:Young Adult
Publisher:ARTEMIS Books
Prequel to Sisters of Heart series
*this has gifted to me for review*
Lady Amelia Fitzailwyn knows everything about everything... she certainly does not require Finishing School! If John and Alex had not tattled on her, she would still be home! It was fine for them to chase every skirt in the Kingdom but she has one kiss ...or two, and Uncle carts her off! Day one of her banishment, at Madame de Rigeur's Young Ladies Finishing Academie, is dismal. Her roommate is insular, Clarissa is cruel...and that spotty girl's rash is probably contagious! Then, she meets Monsieur Pelfrie, the handsomest man she has ever seen, and Amelia decides it might just be possible to endure the two long years away from home.
Enjoy this delightful tale of mischief and mayhem as a sheltered young woman comes of age in Georgian England. Includes excerpts from Scarlett Rains’ captivating Sisters of the Heart series


Review
It's been awhile since I've read historical fiction. I always really like it when I read it. This made me want to read more of it. I really enjoyed this. It was a nice break from all the paranormal I've been reading lately. This has some really awesome characters with a hilarious storyline set in the 1780s.
I think Amelia is the main character but I'm not sure. It flips through different peoples point of views. One thing I liked about Amelia is how she never gave up on love. She wasn't going to let her friends change her mind. Another thing I liked was how she didn't hold grudges against people. Even if they were mean she would give them another chance. Lydia had her snotty moments. She was really fun and somewhat nice most of the time. Anne was probably my favorite character. She was cute and sweet. I like Josie too. She seemed like the mature one of the group. Although I don't agree with the no romance or marriage stuff. One of my favorite parts was the teachers. Those teachers were seriously hilarious.


This has a real contemporary feel. To me it was like historical contemporary fiction. The plot was basically the every day life of the girls. I like the boarding school setting. I always enjoy books set in boarding schools. My absolute favorite part of the whole book was all the craziness the girls got into. They were always pulling pranks on each other and other girls. I'm gonna steal their ideas. They were seriously some of the best pranks ever. They were hilarious. It was also very realistic. I can totally see people in the 1780s doing some of this stuff. Overall I really enjoyed this. It was very fast paced and difficult to put down. Everything was very well done. 4/5 stars
Jasmine :)

2 comments:

  1. Jasmine,
    I'm so glad you enjoyed "Finishing". Thank you so much for this lovely review. :)
    Scarlett
    http://scarlettrainssistersoftheheartsblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review, Scarlett! Congratulations, my friend!

    Love,

    Nancy Jill

    ReplyDelete