Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (33)

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of us will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All that's asked is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.
 
This weeks topic is Top Ten Book Turn-Offs. I don't know if I'll be able to come up with ten, but we'll see.
 
  1. Bad boy/good girl-I've gotten really tired of the over used bad-boy-with-a-heart-of-gold-corrupts-the-good-girl. Even the good-girl-fixing-the-bad-but-not-really-bad-boy only works for me sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I love a bad boy as much as the next girl, but in moderation. Sometimes you just need shy and sweet. This is one of the reasons I haven't jumped onto the New Adult bandwagon.
  2. Too much cussing-I don't run across this very often with books, but when I do it really turns me off. I don't have a problem with cussing. It even makes sense with the setting sometimes. I only have a problem when it's unnecessary. If the sentence could do without, then don't put a cuss word in it. Easy as that.
  3. Stupid love triangles-I'm not talking about every love triangle out there-some of them can be justified. I'm talking about the ones where it's obviously just there because the author couldn't find another way to create conflict. What's the point of dragging the characters (and the reader) through that and breaking some hearts in the process? Especially when one of the guys is annoying and needs to go away.
  4. Insta-love-Same as with love triangles, sometimes it does make sense with the story, but not when the characters have had two conversations. There has to be some reasoning behind it or I just don't believe it. And if I don't believe it, it's going to be hard to change my mind.
  5. Gross content-Some may not agree with me, but I like my fade to black. Leave it to the imagination, if you will. Don't scar me for life or make me cringe at the thought of someone else knowing that I read it. Especially when it's just weird. *cough* 50 Shades *cough*
  6. Wimpy heroines-I'm not saying every main character has to kick butt, even that gets old sometimes. I just don't want to read about someone sitting around complaining about the situation that they're in. Get off your butt and change it! Also whining and characters with zero self confidence. Ugh.
  7. Parents-Some parents in YA are very well done. Other times not so much. It's not enough to turn me off of a book, but it does make me feel all rage monster sometimes. Either they're overbearing and controlling or not there at all. In some cases it makes sense with the story, but not always.
So that's my top ten! I didn't have as hard a time as I thought I was going to. It was actually pretty fun ranting for a little bit.
 
What was yours this week? Do you agree with any of mine? Disagree? Let me know in the comments!

Marissa




No comments:

Post a Comment