Monday, November 26, 2012

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvator Review

The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle, #1)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Scholastic
Source: Bought
First book in the Raven Cycle series
“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”
It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.
Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.
His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.
But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.
For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.
From Maggie Stiefvater, the bestselling and acclaimed author of the Shiver trilogy and The Scorpio Races, comes a spellbinding new series where the inevitability of death and the nature of love lead us to a place we’ve never been before.



Review
It took me longer than normal to get into this one. Once I did though I loved it. This was a really amazing read. Maggie is one of my all time favorite authors. I'm so excited she has this new series. This was a great start to the series.

I loved Blue. She had an awesome personality. I loved how nothing really surprised her. She just followed along. I loved how well she fit in among the Raven Boys. She had thought so low of them and now she hangs out with them. I'm super excited to see where her story is going to go. I absolutely adored the Raven Boys. Adam was my favorite. He seemed the most real out of the four. I have a feeling I'm going to end up loving Gansey. I feel like he is such an important part of the story but it didn't feel like we really got to know him. I hope that changes on the next book. Ronan was hilarious. I loved him. I have a feeling he's gonna play a bigger part in the series. Noah wasn't second favorite. He was a sweetheart. I really hope we get to know all the Raven boys better in upcoming books.

This had the most amazing storyline. I loved it. I liked how fast paced it was. I liked the mystery. I liked how not everything was unveiled in this one. It gives us something to look forward too in future books. There was a fair share of action. There was tons of suspense. Once I got into the story, I never wanted to put it down. I read this in about a day. One thing I will say is that this is one of those books that needs to be read slower. I didn't do that because I didn't know but I was left feeling like I missed some things. That made me want to go back and reread to catch everything. Hopefully I'll find time for that in the future. Overall this was an epic read. I loved it with all my heart. I'm so glad I have a new Maggie Stiefvator book to love. I have a feeling the wait for the sequel is going to make me crazy. If you haven't read this one I highly recommend.


Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment