Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Divners by Libba Bray Review

The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Little Brown
Source: Bought
First book in The Diviners series
Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City--and she is pos-i-toot-ly thrilled. New York is the city of speakeasies, shopping, and movie palaces! Soon enough, Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfield girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult--also known as "The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies."
When a rash of occult-based murders comes to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help catch the killer--if he doesn't catch her first.


Review
This was a very mysterious read. It was also a little intense. It was really really good. I loved that it was set in the early 1900s. It made everything more everything more original and made for a great setting. The characters were amazing. The storyline was super creepy. The plot made this impossible to put down because you just had to know what was going to happen next. I'm super glad I decided to read this. It was a great Halloween read.

I loved Evie. She had such a cute personality. I liked how she was always loving life. I liked how she was always looking for a fun time but was capable of taking things serious too. I loved that she always wanted to help and was willing to do whatever she could to help. She had a very adventurers side. I did wish we had gotten to learn more about her powers and the Diviners but I know we'll get to eventually. I really liked Sam. I thought he was super cute. He started off bad then went to good. He's still somewhat of a mystery and I'm excited to learn more about him in the future. Jericho was an amazing character. He has had such an interesting life. I loved him. I think he was perfect for Evie and I'm hoping they have some cute moments in the future.

This has such a unique storyline. The mystery was amazing. It was impossible to know what was going to happen next. The creepy factor was so well done. The powers all the characters had were so awesome. I loved how well all the different stories tied together. It worked out perfectly. I did have a few " this is freaking me out and I need to take a break" moments. I loved how scary it was. I never get the chance to read really scary books so I loved it. Overall I think this was such a great read. I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to see where the story goes. If you haven't read this one I suggest checking it out.



Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment