Sunday, June 3, 2012

Struck by Jennifer Bosworth Review

Struck
Reading Level:Young Adult
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux BYR
First book in Struck series
Source:Bought
 Mia Price is a lightning addict. She’s survived countless strikes, but her craving to connect to the energy in storms endangers her life and the lives of those around her.
Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come.
Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn’t who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything.


Review
I'm kind of obsessed with this book. The trailer and the cover were what did it. This book has one of the coolest trailers ever. And the cover is pretty fantastic. The amount of pouting I did when my bookstore said they didn't have this the day it came out was insane. That was when the obsession started. This book has probably the coolest concept ever. That and the amazing main character made for a great read.


Mia is an amazing heroine. There is no one like her. She's smart and strong. Addicted to being struck by lightening always having to resist the urge. One thing I likes about Mia was that she didn't take the time to feel sorry for herself. She did what she had to do for her and her family to survive. I really liked Jeremy. His background kind of confused me but him and Mia were super cute.


The followers vs the seekers kinda confused me. I mean I get that the followers were the people who followed the prophet. Im not really sure what the seekers purpose was. I hope we get to learn more about them in the future. I'm also curious as to which side is good and which is bad.


The plot was a little slow in the beginning but it did pick up. Once it picked up it was pretty fast paced. There was lots of twists and turns. It's almost impossible to guess what's going to happen next. Overall I really loved this book. It has such a cool concept and some great characters. I'm super excited to see where this story is going to go. I have my fingers crossed there's a sequel. I highly recommend this one. It has become one of my new favorites :). 4/5 stars


Jasmine <3

No comments:

Post a Comment