Tuesday, October 2, 2012

For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund

For Darkness Shows the Stars
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Balzer and Bray
Source: Conference
Stand Alone
It's been several generations since a genetic experiment gone wrong caused the Reduction, decimating humanity and giving rise to a Luddite nobility who outlawed most technology.
Elliot North has always known her place in this world. Four years ago Elliot refused to run away with her childhood sweetheart, the servant Kai, choosing duty to her family's estate over love. Since then the world has changed: a new class of Post-Reductionists is jumpstarting the wheel of progress, and Elliot's estate is foundering, forcing her to rent land to the mysterious Cloud Fleet, a group of shipbuilders that includes renowned explorer Captain Malakai Wentforth--an almost unrecognizable Kai. And while Elliot wonders if this could be their second chance, Kai seems determined to show Elliot exactly what she gave up when she let him go.
But Elliot soon discovers her old friend carries a secret--one that could change their society . . . or bring it to its knees. And again, she's faced with a choice: cling to what she's been raised to believe, or cast her lot with the only boy she's ever loved, even if she's lost him forever.
Inspired by Jane Austen's "Persuasion," "For Darkness Shows the Stars" is a breathtaking romance about opening your mind to the future and your heart to the one person you know can break it.


Review
I started this expecting a love story. Around the middle of the book, I realized that wasn't really the point of the story. In the end it was a love story but I feel like the world the characters were living in was more important to the story. The world building was so amazing. I honestly thought I wasn't going to like this and I ended up loving it.

Elliot is such a strong character. She put everything he ever wanted on hold for the good of the people. She need thought about her it was always them. She was willing to do anything for anyone who could care less about her. She made the world what it was and I think she was such an amazing leader. She was such an amazing character. I didn't understand Kai very much. He confused me. By the end I understood him more. I ended up really liking him. I kinda felt like I didn't get the chance to know the real him till the end. I knew the version he showed in his letters. That version of him was a sweetheart. His letters were the cutest thing ever. They showed all the different sides of him. I think they were such a cool part of the story. The secondary characters were great also. There was a nice variety.


The storyline was great. There was a lot of suspense. I could never put it down. I had to know what was going to happen. I never would have guessed this would end the way it did. One thing I didn't like was there wasn't much cuteness. But, the story was still amazing without it. Overall I absolutely adored this. I think it was such a unique read. I'm sad its a stand alone. I'm excited to see what else this author comes up with. I highly recommend checking this out if you already haven't. 5/5 stars

Jasmine <3

No comments:

Post a Comment