Friday, May 17, 2013

Shadowflesh by Shawn Martin Review

Shadowflesh (Shadowflesh, #1)
Reading Level: Young Adult
 Publisher: Vinspire Publishing
 Source: Author
First book in a possible series
*This was gifted to my by author for review*
Torn from her home and fighting bouts of suicidal depression, seventeen year old Aileen McCormick lands in the small coastal town of Redcliff, North Carolina. Her first day of school promises to be the worst day of her life - until she falls into the arms of Addison Wake. Addison's otherworldly charm and drop-dead gorgeous face leave Aileen breathless, but only for a moment. Grim and painful secrets lurk in his dark soul.
Addison Wake isn't exactly like other boys. Far from it. He's dead and has been for 300 years, locked in an ethereal prison by a lethal enchantress named Donelle. When she hungers, she blesses Addison's tortured spirit with moments of freedom, allowing him to roam the mortal world as Shadowflesh. But that dark blessing comes at a price. He must deliver the souls of five unsuspecting humans to Donelle.
When four dead bodies pop up in Redcliff, Aileen asks herself is her love for the mysterious boy unconditional? Is the love worth the risk? And will she be the next victim?



 Review
This was an interesting read. I really liked the idea of the story. But it took quite awhile to get going. It was a little hard to connect with.

This tells the story of Aileen. Her life has taken a turn for the worst. Now she's in a new house and a new school. She doesn't have high hopes until she falls into the arms of Addison Wake.

It was hard to connect with Aileen. She had moments where I really enjoyed her and vise versa. It kinda felt like she didn't know herself completely. She seconded guessed herself. But I liked how determined she was and strong at times. I felt liked I never fully got to know Addison. At times he played a big role then he would disappear for awhile. I liked how complex his character was. I didn't like how he would say one thing then do another. He said he would stay away from Aileen and then he would do the exact opposite. I didn't get to really connect with these characters but I did enjoy their story.

So I basically knew the overall premise of the story before it ended. Things didn't really unravel until close to the end. I felt like I was playing a waiting game. There would be some fast moments. Towards the end it stayed fast. There was a fair share of action. The concept of the story really interested me. The father I read the more I enjoyed the story. Overall this was pretty good. I wished I could have connected with the characters but that's okay. I'm curious to see what the next book will bring. If your a fan of ghost stories this one is for you!



Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment