Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Awakening of Leeowyn Blake by Mary Parker Review

The Awakening of Leeowyn Blake (The Kahl'Nar Saga, #1)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: CreateSpace
Source: Author
First book in the The Kahl'Nar Saga
I'm a normal teenager. I have a normal teenage life with normal teenage problems. The summer is my heaven. I live with my mom during the summer months. We stay in her tiny condo in Jacksonville, Florida. My parents split up when I was little. I'm not sure why. My mom never talks about it. Whatever it was, it was bad enough to make my mom pack me up in the middle of the night when I was four years old and run to my Gran's condo. My mom got the condo after Gran died. From that time on all I had known my entire life was beach life. Until four years ago. Until my uncle found me.


Review
This was only okay for me. I feel like it had the potential to be great but it didn't quite get there. I liked the characters and the idea of the story was great. But, it was very slow paced. I would get to a quarter, then halfway and it would pick up but not enough to really keep my interest.

This one tells the story of Lee. She doesn't have much on her background. One day her uncle shows up and asks to show her how her life was supposed to be lived. Once moving into her uncles home there's no going back.


Lee was a very enjoyable character. She had a nice personality. I liked that she stood up for herself. I did wish she would grow closer to other characters. She felt a little too distant. I can see myself really enjoying her story in future books. I really liked Alex and Peach. But they didn't play a big enough role in the story for me. I feel like they would make great companions for Lee. They were kinda just there. I really want to see more of them in the next book.

I didn't know much about the storyline when starting this. The synopsis didn't give me much for a premise. I really liked the concept of the story. I thought it was very unique and original. I think there could have been a lot more though. It was beyond too slow. I felt like I was playing a waiting game. But, because of that I couldn't put it down. I was waiting for it to pick up. And there were a few moments where it did. There was some actions moments and some suspense moments. But it wasn't consistent. Overall I do think this missed my mark. I think it had its good things and its bad. But I do have hope for the series.


Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment