Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (67)


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists
This weeks topic is Top Ten Books I'd Give To Readers Who Have Never Read X. My pick is Contemporary, but I'm going to do it a little differently. The first few recs are if you really haven't read any contemporary, and the last few are if you've already those and want to know what to read next. That should give you enough options, right?

Contemporary newbies:
  • Stephanie Perkins books-I doubt you'll see any list without Anna and Lola on it. The reason they're on mine is because they actually got me into contemporary. Before them I was honestly kind of terrified of the genre and had no idea where to start. I'm so, so glad I chose these because they remain my favorites to this day. 
  • Rainbow Rowell books-I'm sure you have heard about this ladies books in the past year. You're probably tired of hearing about them by now, but if you haven't read them yet, you're really missing out. She has some of the most well written characters I've ever read.
  • Huntley Fitzpatrick books-My Life Next Door and What I Thought Was True are the perfect read-in-a-day-during-the-summer reads. She knows how to write her couples.
  • The Fault In Our Stars by John Green-I had to include this one. Duh. I'm sure you're excuses for not reading it are very valid, but I say drop them. It really will change your life. Or at least the way you look at things.
I've Read Those Now What?

  • Jennifer E. Smith books-If you loved Anna and Lola and you want that travel-the-world-through-a-book feeling again, read these. I can't even list all the settings in these books. On top of that they read like movies and I never want to put them down.
  • Katie McGarry books-If I didn't think her books were a little less popular, she would be on the first list. Katie McGarry is one of my all time favorite authors. I paired her with Rainbow Rowell because her books aren't just cutesy contemporary. They deal with things like abuse and anxiety and even homelessness in a way that makes the characters come out even better for it in the end. If you liked that about E&P and Fangirl, Katie is your girl.
  • Kasie West books-I think Kasie and Huntley have pretty similar plots, but not in a bad way. In a can't put down because of the romance and the plot sort of way.
  • Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy-I'm assuming you read and loved TFIOS (and all his other books) and you want another cancer book that's not really a cancer book. I feel you and I can't recommend this enough. Give it a shot.
Those are my picks this week. If you have at least have one more book to add to your TBR then I have done my job. Let me know in the comments if there's any contemporary's I should add to my TBR.


Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment