Monday, August 25, 2014

Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis Review


Not a Drop to Drink (Not a Drop to Drink, #1)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Katherine Tegen
Source: Bought
First book in the Not a Drop to Drink series
Regret was for people with nothing to defend, people who had no water. 
Lynn knows every threat to her pond: drought, a snowless winter, coyotes, and, most importantly, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty, or doesn't leave at all.
Confident in her own abilities, Lynn has no use for the world beyond the nearby fields and forest. Having a life means dedicating it to survival, and the constant work of gathering wood and water. Having a pond requires the fortitude to protect it, something Mother taught her well during their quiet hours on the rooftop, rifles in hand.
But wisps of smoke on the horizon mean one thing: strangers. The mysterious footprints by the pond, nighttime threats, and gunshots make it all too clear Lynn has exactly what they want, and they won’t stop until they get it….
With evocative, spare language and incredible drama, danger, and romance, debut author Mindy McGinnis depicts one girl’s journey in a barren world not so different than our own.

Review 
This has some raving reviews. That's the reason I wanted to read it. The beginning kind of threw me off but the rest of the book made up for it.

This tells the story of Lynn. She knows how to survive and that's top priority for her. She doesn't care about  much else. As strangers move in, they make surviving a little more complicated for Lynn.

I really enjoyed Lynn. She was a fantastic main character. I loved how she changed throughout the story. I loved her strength and determination. If I needed to learn how to survive in that world, she would be the first person I would go to. I loved that she found a loving side to herself without losing her strength. Stebbs made such a nice addition to the story. As did Eli and Lucy. I was so happy Lynn didn't only have herself anymore. 

This book has quite the storyline. I didn't really know what to expect. It was very realistic. It was a tad gruesome at times. I was not a fan of the first few chapters. They really threw me off. But the rest of the book made up for it.It was suspenseful and action packed. It was incredibly unique. You had no idea what was going to happen next. I loved it to pieces. I cannot wait to see what this author does next. 

Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment