Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen Review

The Moon and More
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Source: Conference
Stand Alone
Luke is the perfect boyfriend: handsome, kind, fun. He and Emaline have been together all through high school in Colby, the beach town where they both grew up. But now, in the summer before college, Emaline wonders if perfect is good enough.
Enter Theo, a super-ambitious outsider, a New Yorker assisting on a documentary film about a reclusive local artist. Theo's sophisticated, exciting, and, best of all, he thinks Emaline is much too smart for Colby.
Emaline's mostly-absentee father, too, thinks Emaline should have a bigger life, and he's convinced that an Ivy League education is the only route to realizing her potential. Emaline is attracted to the bright future that Theo and her father promise. But she also clings to the deep roots of her loving mother, stepfather, and sisters. Can she ignore the pull of the happily familiar world of Colby?
Emaline wants the moon and more, but how can she balance where she comes from with where she's going?
Sarah Dessen's devoted fans will welcome this story of romance, yearning, and, finally, empowerment. It could only happen in the summer.



Review
Its been forever since I've read a book by this author. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I didn't love this story but I did enjoy it.




This tells the story of Emaline. Her life is pretty average. As summer comes around, she wonders about her future. She questions the choices she's made as she figures out how to get the moon and more.




Emaline didn't wow me but I did enjoy her. I loved her humor. She was very strong and determined. I loved how true to herself she was. I also loved how she stood up for herself and those around her. I think I liked Theo because he was different. As a love interest I didn't enjoy him but as a individual I did. I wished for more Luke scenes. I really liked him. Benji was by far my favorite character. He made such an amazing addition to the story.




This had an interesting concept. I wasn't sure what to think of it. I didn't love the storyline but I didn't dislike it either. It was kinda just okay. I did love the setting. I loved the family aspects. I loved all the life lessons that could be taken from the story. I think this story needed more cute. Overall this was a pretty good read. It was a nice easy contemporary.

Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment