Friday, August 8, 2014

Character Love #2: Ruby from The Darkest Minds

Character Love is a meme that we came up with.
It's a way to talk about your favorite fictional characters, big and small.
If you want to join us in showing the love feel free. Just say who the character
is, what book they're from, and a little about why you love them.
You can even include fan art or casting of them or some of your favorite
quotes from them. Have fun!


My pick this week is Ruby from The Darkest Minds trilogy by Alexandra Bracken
Found this pretty on the authors Tumblr.
 @gale-katniss


It's been a while since I had a character I wanted to love on, but I read The Darkest Minds and Never Fade a couple weeks ago and Ruby immediately came to mind. Cute love interests and funny side characters are normally my favorites and while this series had both of those Ruby really stood out to me. She goes through so much and every time it seems like it's looking better for her something ruins it. Despite that she manages to stay kind and care for other people-so much so that she puts their safety above her happiness (ugh still not over that) at times. I was surprised that not only was I afraid for the characters lives and relationships over the course of the series, but Ruby's character arc. I didn't want the things that happened to her or what she had to do to affect her outlook. That makes In The Afterlight scare me even more, but I'm sure she'll make it through, especially if Liam is at her side. Oh, Liam, I could go on and on about him, too, but I'll stick to Ruby for right now.


                                            Favorite quotes:

“Sometimes you're the one speeding along in a panic, doing too much, not paying attention, wrecking things you don't mean to. And sometimes life just happens to you, and you can't dodge it. It crashes into you because it wants to see what you're made of.”  


"I think maybe the most frustrating feeling in the world is to have something to say buy not know how to put it into words. To have lived through something but not be able to get it out of you before it festers.”  


“Life isn’t fair." I said. "It’s taken me a while to get that. It’s always going to disappoint you in some way or another. You’ll make plans, and it’ll push you in another direction. You will love people, and they’ll be taken away no matter how hard you fight to keep them. You’ll try for something and won’t get it. You don’t have to find meaning in it; you don’t have to try to change things. You just have to accept the things that are out of your hands and try to take care of yourself. That’s your job.”  

(I think all of those are from Ruby, but I'm not positive *fingers crossed*)



That my pick for the week. Any other nice things to say about Ruby? Or more quotes? Put them in the comments!


Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment