Thursday, March 14, 2013

Unravel Me Tahereh Mafi Review

Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Harper Collins
Source: Bought
Second book in the Shatter Me series
tick
tick
tick
tick
tick
it's almost
time for war.
Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.
She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.
Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.
In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.


Review
I'm having some mixed feelings with this one. I've been waiting so long for it and I was so excited to finally be able to read it. I've been hearing such amazing things. But I didn't like it as much as I liked Shatter Me. It was beautifully written and the storyline was fantastic. I'm not sure why I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. It was still a amazing sequel.

So this one continues Juliette's story. Juliette, Adam, Kenji, and James have arrived at Omega Point with no idea what to expect. Not only do they discover more about themselves but they also get thrown into a war they aren't sure they can win.

Juliette really surprised me. She had a tough time adjusting to Omega Point. And, at times I got a little frustrated with her. I wished she would finally step up and let go of that fragile side. Eventually she did and I loved her even more. I do really like the fragile side because her thoughts are so complex. But with this story that didn't work. She had to toughen up and fast. I loved getting to learn more about her and her power. I kinda missed Adam. He wasn't as huge of a part and I missed him. He was having a harder time with certain things. That really drew him and Juliette apart. I missed their closeness. Okay so I know pretty much everyone became Team Warner. I did enjoy him a lot more because I felt like we really got to know him. But I'm still Team Adam! He's too complex for me. I don't see him as a very good match for Juliette either.

I found this ones storyline vastly different than the first book. It was very exciting. There was all kinds of action and suspense. And, there was tension between characters. This never slowed. It was literally impossible to put down. It was very fast paced. It was pretty hard to predict where the story was going. There was lots of steamy which is always good. I'm not sure why I didn't enjoy this one. I think because I really liked the closeness between characters in the first book. This one had less of that but more action. So I'm pretty conflicted with my feels. Overall though, it was an amazing read. I'm so happy I finally got to read it. Now I'm in the know :). I highly recommend this one. Especially if you like broken and complex characters or a very action filled plot!







Jasmine

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you ended up enjoying this one, Jasmine, even with your mixed feelings! I understand what you mean about the lack of closeness, it seems like that's what happens almost all the time with sequels. It's used to create 'romantic tension' which is great and all, but I just want the two love interests to be together. ;) I'm Team Adam as of right now, but that MAY change when I read Unravel Me, I don't know yet though. It seems like everyone has been raving about Warner and this mysterious Chapter 62 on Twitter, and it's been driving me crazy. The increase of action in this book has me excited, since I love some good action.

    Even though I didn't love Shatter Me, I guess I'll have to try this one out now! Lovely review, as always, Jasmine! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aneeqah <3. Yes it does happen often in sequels! I like to call it the sequel curse haha. Chapter 62 didn't affect my team choice at all even though it was very steamy!

      Delete
  2. I loved Shatter Me and I both want and don't want to read this book. I personally am also Team Adam. I just don't get how everyone can be all for Warner. Maybe I need to reread the first book, but wasn't he horrible?! I remember him being horrible. I don't know, alot of people said you need to read that Destroy Me to really get how Warner is. Maybe I need to, because right now I don't think my choice is going to change! Thanks for the review Jasmine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes in the first book he was pretty bad! In Unravel Me we see a different side of him and I did enjoy him more. But, he isn't right for Juliette and I stand by that :). Thanks for the comment <3

      Delete