Monday, February 11, 2013

Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan and Justin Larbalestier Review

Team Human
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Harper Teen
Source: Conference
Stand Alone
Just because Mel lives in New Whitby, a city founded by vampires, doesn't mean she knows any of the blood-drinking undead personally. They stay in their part of town; she says in hers. Until the day a vampire shows up at her high school. Worse yet, her best friend, Cathy, seems to be falling in love with him. It's up to Mel to save Cathy from a mistake she might regret for all eternity!
On top of trying to help Cathy (whether she wants it or not), Mel is investigating a mysterious disappearance for another friend and discovering the attractions of a certain vampire wannabe. Combine all this with a cranky vampire cop, a number of unlikely romantic entanglements, and the occasional zombie, and soon Mel is hip-deep in an adventure that is equal parts hilarious and touching.
Acclaimed authors Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan team up to create a witty and poignant story of cool vampires, warm friendships, and the changes that test the bonds of love.


Review
It took me forever to read this book! That never happens. I liked the idea of it but it wasn't done the way I was expecting. I found myself enjoying it sometimes and then getting annoyed at others. I did enjoy it more than I was annoyed. So it wasn't a bad read at all. It was kinda hard to push through but by the end I did really enjoy it.

This one tells the story of Mel and Kathy. They are two bestfriends living in a city founded by vampires. Kathy having always had a love for vampires falls for one. Now Mel has to decide if its worth it to talk her out of it while also trying to solve a mystery!

Mel was probably the main thing that bothered me. Not as a character but some of her actions. I liked how much she cared but I thought at times it was a little much. She put like her entire life on hold to worry about what Kathy was doing. Eventually Kathy came to the point where there was no changing her mind and Mel let up. I did really enjoy Mel as a character. She had a hilarious personality. I loved her adventurous side and that she never have up. I also enjoyed how she grew throughout the story. This one had some pretty great secondary characters. Kip being my favorite because he was so cute. I liked how well all the characters stuck together!

The storyline was just good for me. I liked the vampires and the action. There was also a fair amount of mystery. But, the whole book was revolved around Kathy. After a while I didn't really care about her anymore. I wanted to know what was going on with Anna more than Kathy. I did like that the story never slowed down. I liked how funny it was. I spent a huge amount of time cracking up. I liked the characters. I'm really not sure why it took me so long to read this. Overall this was pretty good read. It wasn't really what I expected but I was pleasantly surprised. If you like hilarious main characters and lots of mystery this one if for you!


Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment