Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Review: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Harper Teen
First in the Starcrossed trilogy

Set on the island of Nantucket, STARCROSSED tells the tale of Helen Hamilton, a young woman whose destiny is forever altered when she meets Lucas Delos and tries to kill him in front of her entire high school. Which is terribly inconvenient, not only because Lucas is the most beautiful boy on the island, but also because Helen is so achingly shy she suffers physical pain whenever she is given too much attention.

Making matters worse, Helen is beginning to suspect she’s going crazy. Whenever she’s near Lucas or any member of his family she sees the ghostly apparitions of three women weeping bloody tears, and suffers the burden of an intense and irrational hate. She soon learns that she and Lucas are destined to play the leading roles in a Greek tragedy that the Three Fates insist on repeating over and over again throughout history. Like her namesake, Helen of Troy, she’s destined to start a war by falling in love. But even though Lucas and Helen can see their own star-crossed destiny, they’re still powerfully attracted to each other. Will they give up their personal happiness for the greater good, or risk it all to be together?


First things first: the covers. Seriously they might be my favorite covers ever. I don’t know how much of my life I wasted staring at them and making the rainbow-y effect shine. *Sigh*


Anyways let’s get back on track. I've said it a million times and I'll say it again-you know just in case you weren't paying attention- I absolutely love Greek mythology. It's one of my favorite things to read about and I'll never get tired of reading the many different versions of it. So the first time I read Starcrossed I completely fell in love with Josephine Angelini's version of it. The gods weren't really present, the demigods-called Scions- were more like decedents and with the Furies, the Fates and all the different Houses warring against each other it was one of the saddest ones I’ve read. Now that I read it again I can say that it’s one of my all time favorites. Re-reading books that I love is like reuniting with and old friend.


When I read this I always sympathize for the characters want to give them all a big hug. In this book the gods don’t have any part in the Scions lives and pretty much let the Fates and the Furies take control. And believe me they’re cruel. So they got the Furies who make them want to kill people-especially people who they love and then they have the Fates and this is what I imagine the Fates do: “Hey what is the saddest story you can think of (preferably from the brutal Trojan times)?”…”Oh I love that one. Now lets make it happen to these innocent demigods who already have enough on their plates. Sounds like a fun time right?” (I’m not really sure if the Fates are like the gods or more like the sands of time or something but if they are like the gods I’m sure they have twirly mustaches) Don’t you want them deciding your fate?


I felt especially bad for the main character Helen. She starts having these strange dreams where she feels like she’s walking in the desert for days and then she wakes up with aching muscles and sand in her sheets. She also starts seeing these three ladies-when she’s asleep and when she’s awake. As if that’s not enough one day at school she sees the hottest guy on the island of Nantucket (possibly the world) and immediately tries to kill him in front of everyone for no reason she can think of. Honestly in Helen’s situation I would be curled up on the floor rocking bath and forth until I was put in the loony bin but throughout the whole book Helen handles it all and doesn’t get all whiney. I really liked that especially since it doesn’t get easier for her after she learns the truth. I really liked her relationship with her dad and her best friend. She would do anything to protect them. Now onto possibly the hottest guy in the world Lucas Delos. He’s one of my favorite book boyfriends ever. He’s sweet but sarcastic and he would do anything for the people he loves. He’s like a superhero with the powers and the abs to match (:. I loved the whole Delos family. But I think my favorite (other than Lucas obviously) would have to be Hector. He reminded me of a big teddy bear oddly enough.

The romance between Lucas and Helen is so freaking adorable it’s unhealthy for me. It takes forever because she keeps pushing him away and he keeps pulling her back only to keep her at arms length. It’s for very good reasons of course that’s why the book is called starcrossed but I didn’t care. They are to perfect for each other to not be together. As soon as they had the smallest chance to be together it got completely crushed. I’m not going to even go in to that because I’ll get all ranty and worked up and spoil something.


I loved this book as much as I did the first time. Josephine Angelini’s writing style is so addictive and even though I knew what was going to happen I couldn’t put it down. I was constantly checking how long the next chapter was and how late it was seeing if I could keep reading. If you haven’t read this already love mythology, romance and a whole family of hot boys I would definitely recommend this. It’s amazing. Go read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment