Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Review: Dreamless by Josephine Angelini

Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: HarperTeen
Second in the Starcrossed series

Can true love be forgotten?

As the only scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.

Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out--a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies' cry for blood is growing louder.

As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen's sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.

Josephine Angelini's compelling saga becomes ever more intricate and spellbinding as an unforgettable love triangle emerges and the eternal cycle of revenge intensifies. Eagerly awaited, this sequel to the internationally bestselling "Starcrossed" delivers a gritty, action-packed love story that exceeds all expectations.




Dreamless was my first Waiting on Wednesday ever. It was also one the first book I ever added to my 'to-read' shelf on Goodreads. So of course I was incredibly excited to add it to my 'read' shelf along with the 5 star rating I knew I was going to give it. But at

*This is a review for the second book in a series if you haven’t read Starcrossed you should definitely go do that. If you need convincing here’s my review. Oh and go check out Josephine’s FB page for some very convincing pictures* the same time I was a little scared about starting it. Not that I didn't have complete faith that Josephine Angelini was going to write another amazing book but I was scared that after all that happened at the end of Starcrossed this one was going to be depressing. Ultimately I was scared for all the characters that I fell in love with in the first one what more could happen to them? Sure there was some sad parts (more on that later) but it in no way has ''the second book curse' and just like the synopsis promised it exceeded my expectations. Which is pretty impressive since my expectations were pretty high.


I’ve always been amazed by how strong Helen is. In this one she’s going through twice as much as she was in Starcrossed. Every night she has to descend into the Underworld and the only way out is getting hurt and she feels it even after she wakes up, there’s even more people after her now and they are creeptastic and on top of that she can’t be with Lucas not even as friends if his family has anything to say about it. So yeah she’s got a lot on her shoulders and she was constantly getting crap from all sides and didn’t have anyone to turn to. I think that’s why I actually liked Orion even though I was set on not liking him. I first heard his name when I read the synopsis and it was like the Furies but he took me by surprise. I liked how he was there for Helen when all she needed was a friend and as long as he stayed that way he was fine by me. There was a few close calls but in the end I loved him. Oh, Lucas. There wasn’t enough Lucas in this book well that isn’t true there was plenty of Lucas just not the happy, always hopeful Lucas from the first one. He wasn’t all gone but the bad stuff that happened to him changed him. Even though not all of it was for the best somehow the more determined, tortured him was even hotter. I ended up loving characters that I thought I would hate, pitying characters that I hated in the first one and loving characters that I already loved even more.

Now onto the Helen/Lucas situation. If you’ve read Starcrossed (don’t worry if you haven’t I won’t go into detail but you still might want to skip this paragraph) then you know that towards the end someone tells Lucas and Helen something that means they can’t be together. And for a reason that they can’t fight. But then that person tells someone else that it’s not really true and then gets rid of that person. So for the reader it kind of feels like you’re the only person who knows the truth and you would think that would make it better right? No. It makes it worse because the whole time there were these parts when they were so depressingly cute and they got so close to figuring it out that I just wanted to shake them and tell them that their instincts were right and that it’s not really true and that they needed to go be cute already. But of course I can’t because they’re fictional characters. Josephine Angelini is a genius for working it that way and making me so invested in these characters lives that I was almost crying. Seriously I haven’t wanted two characters to get together so bad since Ren and Kelsey and if you know me at all you know how badly I want them to get together. Despite all that I thought that the love triangle actually worked. I didn’t really see it as a love triangle actually more like a fate triangle. If you have read it you know what I mean.

Wrapping up this incredibly long review I’m just going to say that this book was even better than the first one. The writing was just as addictive (and less calories than chocolate!), there was more Greek mythology tie-ins and I was constantly surprised. Especially with that ending. Like the first one it didn’t end on a huge cliffhanger but the story is in no way wrapped up. I cannot wait to for the next one to see how this story ends even though I’m of course sad it’s going to be over. Really I just can’t wait for Lucas and Helen to find out the truth. If you haven’t this series yet then you need to right now. I don’t care what you’re doing go read it. It’s one of the best Greek mythology YA’s out there.
5/5 stars

-Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment