Monday, February 23, 2015

The Beautiful and the Cursed by Page Morgan Review

The Beautiful and the Cursed (The Dispossessed, #1)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Delacorte
Source: Conference
First book in the Dispossessed series
After a bizarre accident, Ingrid Waverly is forced to leave London with her mother and younger sister, Gabby, trading a world full of fancy dresses and society events for the unfamiliar city of Paris.
In Paris there are no grand balls or glittering parties, and, disturbingly, the house Ingrid’s twin brother, Grayson, found for them isn’t a house at all. It’s an abandoned abbey, its roof lined with stone gargoyles that could almost be mistaken for living, breathing creatures.
And Grayson has gone missing.
No one seems to know of his whereabouts but Luc, a devastatingly handsome servant at their new home.
Ingrid is sure her twin isn’t dead—she can feel it deep in her soul—but she knows he’s in grave danger. It will be up to her and Gabby to navigate the twisted path to Grayson, a path that will lead Ingrid on a discovery of dark secrets and otherworldly truths. And she’ll learn that once they are uncovered, they can never again be buried.

Review
I had a really hard time getting into this story. By the time I reached about halfway I still wasn't into it. I'm glad I continued reading though. The last half made it worth the read. 

This tells the story of Ingrid and Gabby. Their trading the life they knew for a new life in Paris. When they discover their brother missing the uncover some dark secrets about the streets of Paris. 

The characters were my favorite part of this book. Ingrid and Gabby were fantastic. Ingrid had a softer but still strong personality. I loved how she stood up for herself. Gabby was like a firecracker. She was stubborn and high but I still loved her. This story has some great boys. Luc was great but a little standoffish. I understand his reasoning for pushing Ingrid but he came across badly at times. 

This has a like gothic storytime. I've never read a gargoyle story before. It's always been a concept I was interested in. It was a tad hard to follow. It kinda took a while to get going. That's why I had such a hard time getting into it. I loved how dark and mysterious it was. I thought it was very unique. Overall I thought this was a good read. It had some great aspects. I'm excited to continue the series. 
Jasmine

1 comment:

  1. It was a very creative idea and one that the author was able to pull off flawlessly. The words flowed together in a beautiful siren song that kept me hooked and devouring page after page.

    Marlene
    Water Main Break

    ReplyDelete