Thursday, March 27, 2014

Rory by Ciye Cho Review

Rory (The Ghosts of Palladino, #1)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Self Published
Source: Author
First book in the Ghosts of Pallodino series
*This was gifted to me by author for review*
Far beyond heaven, earth and hell is a city known as Palladino, a place ruled by ghosts and filled with demons, magic, and all sorts of darkly beautiful things. A city where no one can ever escape.

Eighteen-year-old Rory is a cake decorator who makes stunning confections. But no amount of frosting or miracles can save her when a demon kidnaps her—and carries her to Palladino. Here, Rory ends up in a deadly charm school where young women are forced to become companions for the Ghost Lords. And for her to survive, Rory must become everything that she isn’t: graceful, elegant... and perfect.

But nothing is what it seems in Palladino. Not the magic. Not the ghosts. And definitely not Martin Marius, the bizarre Ghost Lord-slash-inventor who is drawn to Rory. For amid a thousand machines and a hundred cats, Martin holds a secret that could change everything. A secret that could either free Rory... or destroy her.

Review
I wasn't sure what to expect from this story. It was a little hard to get into. I did end up enjoying it. It was very original! 

Rory is living a fairly normal life when a demon kidnaps her and takes her to Palladino. She's expected to become elegant and graceful but is unsure why. When a crazy inventor shows interest in her, Rory learns more than ever about the strange world she's found herself. 

Rory was a pretty good character. It was easy to relate to her. I liked how strong she was. She may not have liked where she was but she still tried. I loved her adventurous side. She also had a caring side. I loved Martin. I loved how unique he was. I loved that we had to wait to learn all about him. I loved all his inventions. I'm gonna be honest and say Cookie was my favorite character. He was the cutest thing ever! 

This had an interesting storyline. It was almost like two stories in one. The charm school was one, Martins castle was the other. I enjoyed both but they didn't quite match up. They didn't have that flow. This story has a ton of unique aspects. I could never guess what was coming next. Once the story got going, it was very fast paced and action packed. The world building was great. I loved the different settings. Overall this was pretty good. I can't wait to read more! 


Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment