Friday, August 23, 2013

Star Cursed by Jessica Spotswood Review

Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #2)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Source: Conference
Second book in the Cahill Witch Chronicles
With the Brotherhood persecuting witches like never before, a divided Sisterhood desperately needs Cate to come into her Prophesied powers. And after Cate's friend Sachi is arrested for using magic, a war-thirsty Sister offers to help her find answers—if Cate is willing to endanger everyone she loves.
Cate doesn't want to be a weapon, and she doesn't want to involve her friends and Finn in the Sisterhood's schemes. But when Maura and Tess join the Sisterhood, Maura makes it clear that she'll do whatever it takes to lead the witches to victory. Even if it means sacrifices. Even if it means overthrowing Cate. Even if it means all-out war.
In the highly anticipated sequel to Born Wicked, the Cahill Witch Chronicles continue Cate, Maura and Tess's quest to find love, protect family, and explore their magic against all odds in an alternate history of New England.



Review
I wasn't sure what to expect with this. I'd seen a lot of hype and had high expectations. This met my expectations with ease. It was a great sequel! 

This continues Cats, Tess, and Maura's story. The whole world is waiting for Cate's powers to come. But what they don't realize is it may not be Cate. When her sisters arrive at The Sisterhood, Cate is determined to protect them. All the whole Maura is determined to make everything harder. 

Cate surprised me. She was very strong. She grew a lot in this. I loved how caring and protective she was. I also liked how determined she was. No matter what she was going to make it work. I loved that she fought back and stood up for herself without being rude. I literally wanted to grab Maura out of the book and throw her at a wall. She is so fabulously evil. I admire her evilness but at times I could just slap her.  Tess has my heart. She is the cutest thing ever and I can't wait to see more of her. 

What I enjoyed the most about this story was the world. We got to see a lot of different things we didn't get to see in the first book. The Sisterhood was insanely cool. I liked getting to see some of Harwood and The Brotherhood. This had a pretty fast storyline. It was very mysterious. I couldn't put it down to save my life. Let me just say that ending was not nice. The wait for the third book shall be absolute torturous. If you guys haven't read this one, I highly recommend.


 
Jasmine

2 comments:

  1. I still haven't read this book yet! This makes me wanna read this book so much more. I loved Born Wicked and I absolutely love Jessica Spotswood. Hopefully once I get the time to read this, I'll enjoy it as much as you did. Great review!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That ending....killed me. I really enjoyed this one, and I'm glad you did, too. I just love the historical aspect of it. Great review.

    Jennifer
    YA Sisterhood

    ReplyDelete