Sunday, January 8, 2012

Review: The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

The Scorpio Races

It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.

 Maggie Stiefvater is without a doubt one of my favorite authors ever. I love her Shiver books and this one was just as good I don't know why I waited so long to read it. For some reason it took me a while to get into this book but once I did I had to stop myself at almost four in the morning forty pages from finishing it because I didn't want it to end. The romance was a little slow but the wait was worth it :) and the plot wasn't slow at all. It was told from two perspectives which is something Maggie is very good at. Puck is a girl who is forced to be in the Scorpio Races even though she has never been in the race before, is the first girl to ever be in the races and is not even riding on a water horse and Sean is a guy who has been in the race nearly every year and has won four times. The story follows them and all the stuff that happens to them leading up to the race. I heard that it might be a movie I would love that the writing was so descriptive that I felt like I was there. The water horses were fascinating you can tell that Maggie researched a lot for this book and I really like that. The characters might be my favorite thing about this book. I loved Puck she was hilarious and stood up for herself against nearly a whole island. I kind of want to know why they call her Puck that was never explained but it was still a cute nickname. Sean was amazing I loved him with all my heart. Finn was adorable I loved his little quirks. Gabe was confusing. Of course I have to include the horses. Dove was awesome and I loved Corr no really this book had me crying over a monster horse. It doesn't look like there's going to be a sequel but I'm still hoping. I'm not ready to leave Thisby. I had a hard time writing this review because I didn't know how to do this book justice. It was amazing and I can tell it will be one of my all time favorite books. Go read it right now.
More than 5 out of 5 stars :)

-Marissa <3

No comments:

Post a Comment