Saturday, March 14, 2015

The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett Review

The Nightmare Affair (The Arkwell Academy, #1)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Tor Teen
Source: Conference
First book in the Arkwell Academy series
Sixteen-year-old Dusty Everhart breaks into houses late at night, but not because she’s a criminal. No, she’s a Nightmare.
Literally.
Being the only Nightmare at Arkwell Academy, a boarding school for magickind, and living in the shadow of her mother’s infamy, is hard enough. But when Dusty sneaks into Eli Booker’s house, things get a whole lot more complicated. He’s hot, which means sitting on his chest and invading his dreams couldn’t get much more embarrassing. But it does. Eli is dreaming of a murder.
Then Eli’s dream comes true.
Now Dusty has to follow the clues—both within Eli’s dreams and out of them—to stop the killer before more people turn up dead. And before the killer learns what she’s up to and marks her as the next target.

Review
I was really impressed with this story. It sucked me in right off the bad. The characters were fabulous and the storyline was super exciting. 

This tells the story of Dusty. She's the only nightmare in her school for magicalkind. Things go awry in one of Eli's dreams. Together Eli and Dusty can save the world. But only if they don't get killed first. 

Dusty has my favorite type of personality. She's incredibly strong with just enough snark. She's determined and powerful. But, she still cares about the world around her. I loved see her grow into her powers. Eli didn't have as big of a role in the story as I'd hoped. I know we will see more of him in the future. But I wished we'd gotten to know him better!

I love boarding school settings. This story had a great concept to it. It was super unique. I loved all the magic! I loved the darker parts to it. I loved how mysterious it was. I loved the good vs bad vibe.  Once you get into this story, there's no going back. Overall I thought this was a great read. I cannot wait to continue this story! 

Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment