Thursday, May 24, 2012

Review: Torn by Ashley S. Morgan

Torn
Reading Level: Young Adult
Self published
Standalone

Isadora Rivers feels trapped. Her small town high school is suffocating her. Another day of wannabe gangsters, dumb jocks, and Barbie clones, and she'll just lose it. Her keen emotional sensitivity is to blame. She sees through all of the poser behavior to the pain and insecurity simmering just below the surface, and it's overwhelming. She feels like she's literally drowning in other people's emotions.

This same sensitivity, however, makes her a great actress. Suffocating or not, her high school is one of the top arts schools in the country. Acting is not only her passion, but it also looks like her way out. If she can just score the lead role in the school play, she might get herself noticed by a Hollywood agent. But she's got a strong reckless streak, and it keeps getting her in trouble and jeopardizing her chances.

Riding her bike at top speed, she swerves in front of a car and nearly gets hit. The driver, Tristan Blake, turns out to be the mysterious new boy at school. He's rebellious, broody, and wise beyond his years. He's also devastatingly gorgeous. From the moment their eyes meet, Isadora is irresistibly drawn to him. But as soon as he enters her life, things go horribly wrong. She begins having disturbing visions full of unimaginable glamour and unbearable darkness. He knows things about her he shouldn't. And he's somehow so familiar. As he at turns pulls her close, and then pushes her away, Isadora feels like her heart is being twisted and torn.

She soon discovers that her whole future is in jeopardy, and her only hope is to stay away from Tristan. But how can she turn away from the only boy she has ever loved? As a harrowing event looms closer, one that threatens to rip apart her psyche, Isadora must reach deep inside herself and find the strength to change her own destiny. But is she strong enough to do it?


As soon as I started this book I was hooked. The story started on the first page and didn't stop until the last one. I never wanted to stop reading.

Isadora Rivers is just a normal highschool girl with a reckless streak a mile long. She hates her suffocating high school and is most comfortable on stage. All she wants is to get the role as Juliet in her school play, get noticed by an agent and get out of there. But when a boy almost runs her over her life completely changes. The boy is Tristan Blake and he's oddly familar to Izzy. The way he looks, smells even the litle gestures he does remind her of someone and she can't figure out who. She's sure she has never met him before and he's sure too. But when she starts having strange visions-visions including him she knows something weird is going on. The story immediatly picks up and has you guessing until the end.

I felt very back and forth about Isadora. There were times when I really liked her and times when she really annoyed me. She had a very impulsive personality to the point of recklesness and even though that was her fatal flaw I liked it about her. She doesn't think before she acts and goes head first into every situation and gives it her all. Her recklesness got her into some crazy situations and I thought it made her a very well developed character. Tristan was very back and forth too. He was really hot and cold with Isadora and there was times when I just wanted to shake him and tell him to tell Isadora what the heck was going on. I'm sure Izzy felt the same. He just kept to many secrets. Their relationship seemed a little insta-love at first but it was okay because I knew they had some sort of connection and that was why she felt so strongly about him so quickly. Their relationship got really, really cute and I just wanted to know what was going on and for them to stay cute forever. I loved Izzy's best friend Sara she was always there for her even when Izzy wasn't a very good friend. Tara annoyed me of course. I thought the fights her and Isadora got into were stupid and I didn't see why she didn't just avoid her like the plague. I would have.

As the visions got worse the plot picked up and I rushed through it wanting to know what all these visions meant and why Tristan was keeping all these secrets. I figured out what was going on right before it was revealed and there was some other things that were a little predictable but that didn't keep me from enjoying the mystery.

Overall I thought this book was awesome. There was romance, and a mystery that kept me guessing and I loved it. I'm sad that it ended like a stand alone because I would love to read more about these characters.
4/5 stars.
-Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment