Monday, May 28, 2012

Review: Timepiece by Myra Mcentire

Timepiece (Hourglass, #2)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Second in the Hourglass series.
Expected release date: June 12, 2012
A threat from the past could destroy the future. And the clock is ticking...

Kaleb Ballard's relentless flirting is interrupted when Jack Landers, the man who tried to murder his father, timeslips in and attacks before disappearing just as quickly. But Kaleb has never before been able to see time travelers, unlike many of his friends associated with the mysterious Hourglass organization. Are Kaleb's powers expanding, or is something very wrong?

Then the Hourglass is issued an ultimatum. Either they find Jack and the research he's stolen on the time gene, or time will be altered with devastating results.

Now Kaleb, Emerson, Michael, and the other Hourglass recruits have no choice but to use their unusual powers to find Jack. But where do they even start? And when? And even if they succeed, it may not be enough...

The follow-up to Hourglass, Timepiece blends the paranormal, science fiction, mystery, and suspense genres into a nonstop thrill ride where every second counts.


*This is a review for a sequel so there is going to be spoilers. If you haven't read Hourglass stop here and go get it*
I read the first book in this series Hourglass last year and thought it was absolutely fabulous. I fell in love with the main character and all the secondary characters. The romance was so adorable and the storyline was fast paced and awesome. I've always thought time travel was interesting but it could be really confusing and I liked how in Hourglass time travel was explained enough that I knew what was going on but it didn't get to textbookish. Ever since I read it I've been completely fascinated by time travel and wanted to read any book that included it.

Like I said I loved the main character Emerson. She was kick butt (to this day I still want to be able to flip a guy over my shoulder like she can) and I loved her story. So when I heard that Timepiece was going to be from Kaleb's perspective I admit I was a little apprehensive. I wasn't as obsessed with Kaleb as a lot of other people seem to be but I did like him. Mostly I didn't want to say goodbye to the Michael and Emerson cuteness. But I still had faith in Myra Mcentire's ability to create and amazing story and I knew that it was told from Kaleb's perspective for a reason. Yet again I was completely blown away.

I'm always a little nervous about perspective changes but once I finished this book I knew that it couldn't have been told by anyone other than Kaleb. Even though the same storyline that started in Hourglass is still happening in Timepiece Emerson's individual storyline and the conflicts she had to get through as a character were sort of wrapped up. Kaleb's story on the other hand was just picking up. His dad is back, the person who killed his dad in the first place is back and his mom is still in a coma. He can also sense other peoples emotions so that adds to the story. There's so much going on in his life that we don't see in Hourglass. I seriously fell in love with Kaleb in this book. He drinks so he doesn't have to feel other peoples emotions and really so he doesn't have to feel his own. He's tries to hide it but inside he's such a sad person and he blames himself for a lot of stuff. I loved how the whole cast of characters is back in this one. I love all the relationships that the characters have and how they all interact with each other. It's hilarious seriously these are some of the funniest books I've ever read.

One thing of the main things I was worried about is that there wasn't going to be any romance. I know that sounds bad but I'm a romance freak and if a book doesn't have romance in it I'm not going to enjoy it as much. But believe me there is romance in this book. A lot of it. I'm not going to say who Kaleb's 'romantical interest' (to put it like Myra Mcentire) is because it's more fun to figure it out. Seriously though I loved their relationship. At first they didn't really like each other (maybe because he grabbed her butt the first chance he got and that didn't go over very well with her) but they were forced to work together and over time they started liking working together. They really are perfect for each other because she doesn't put up with his crap and tells him exactly how she feels and she helps him not feel so guilty all the time. When they got together I was seriously on cute over load. One of the horrible things about it not being from Em's perspective was you didn't get to see the cute moments between her and Michael. They would be behind closed doors and you knew they were being cute and it made me crazy. Don't close the door I'm sure Kaleb would love to tell me what's happening ;).

The stakes were so much higher than in the first one and there was more villians and tons of action. And we got to know so much more about Jack the bad guy from the first one. We got to know what his motives were and why he wanted what he wanted. It made him a really interesting person to read about. He's still evil though.

This book was absolutely amazing. It was hilarious and adorable and there was tons of twists and action and best of all it doesn't end in a huge cliffhanger. It didn't answer your questions but it didn't make you insane. I'm still dying for the next book Infinityglass though. If you haven't read Hourglass I highly reccomend you do and then go get Timepiece when it comes out June 12.
5/5 stars
-Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment