Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Alex Mortimer and The Beast of Wildeor by B.A. Dearsley

Alex Mortimer & the Beast of Wildeor
Reading Level:Young Adult
Publisher:Walden House
First book in a series
*this was gifted to me by author for review*
Fourteen year-old Alex Mortimer is about to discover a terrible secret – not only was he the cause of his family’s disappearance, he’s also the last of the Lords of Allegiance, a once powerful ancient order connected to King Arthur and Merlin. Forced to embark on the dangerous journey to Wildeor, a safe-haven for some of the strangest creatures ever to have roamed earth, Alex soon finds out he’s all that stands between mankind and certain annihilation. The first in a thrilling new historical fantasy series, The Beast of Wildeor follows Alex and his friend Sarah Greystone in their desperate race to rebuild the Lords of Allegiance before it’s too late. Equal parts explorer, adventurer and spy, Alex Mortimer is an imperfect but believable new hero for readers of all ages!

Review
This wasn't really what I was expecting. It had a really cool concept but I think there could have been more excitment. Alex is a cool main character. I like his personality. Nothing seemed to really surprise him. It was kinda like he was born for the lifestyle. I didnt really like Sarah. She acted really spoiled and kinda bratty. Alex was always really sweet to her and she didnt act that way back. Theres two other characters I want to include. Tom and the beast. Tom cracked me up. He was hilarious and reminded me of a crazy old grandfather. I loved all the historical references. The beast didnt really have a big part to play but he was my favorite character. Since he is a part of the title I was dissapointed he had such a small part.

The plot was kinda stop and go. It would be fast and exciting then get really slow. It took me longer than it normally would. A little more excitment and I would have read it faster. Overall I really liked this. It has a very cool concept and I'm excited to see what the author comes up with next. 4/5 stars 
Jasmine :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment