Thursday, December 26, 2013

Dirty Little Secret by Jennifer Echols Review

Dirty Little Secret
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: MTV Books
Source: Conference
Stand Alone
Bailey wasn’t always a wild child and the black sheep of her family. She used to play fiddle and tour the music circuit with her sister, Julie, who sang and played guitar. That ended when country music execs swooped in and signed Julie to a solo deal. Never mind that Julie and Bailey were a duet, or that Bailey was their songwriter. The music scouts wanted only Julie, and their parents were content to sit by and let her fulfill her dreams while Bailey’s were hushed away.

Bailey has tried to numb the pain and disappointment over what could have been. And as Julie’s debut album is set to hit the charts, her parents get fed up with Bailey’s antics and ship her off to granddad’s house in Nashville. Playing fiddle in washed-up tribute groups at the mall, Bailey meets Sam, a handsome and oh-so-persuasive guitarist with his own band. He knows Bailey’s fiddle playing is just the thing his band needs to break into the industry. But this life has broken Bailey’s heart once before. She isn’t sure she’s ready to let Sam take her there again…


Review
I'm gonna be honest and say I had some troubles getting into this. It started off way slow! Once it got going, I fell in love. The concept was amazing as were the characters.

This tells the story of Bailey. Her family shunned her because of her younger sisters recording contract. She is forced to move in with her grandfather. She gets a job playing in a couple tribute bands. In one of those bands, she meets someone who could change her life forever.

It took me some time to get used to Bailey. She had a pretty big back story. It effected her personality. It took a very long time for us to see the true Bailey. She was an incredibly great character. Once you get used to her she is very enjoyable. Now Sam, was absolute perfection. He couldn't have been better. One thing I loved about Sam and Bailey was their complexity. They had to learn to work together and it wasn't easy.

This book really had an amazing storyline. It was so unique! Once I got into it, I couldn't stop reading. I loved the Nashville setting. I loved all the music aspects. I loved that I couldn't predict the story. I was really happy to see a more mature read. It was just enough to satisfy. Overall I'm surprised by how much I loved this story! I can't wait to see more from this author!

Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment