Sunday, April 21, 2013

Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama Review

Monstrous Beauty

Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Source: Conference
Stand Alone
 Fierce, seductive mermaid Syrenka falls in love with Ezra, a young naturalist. When she abandons her life underwater for a chance at happiness on land, she is unaware that this decision comes with horrific and deadly consequences.
Almost one hundred forty years later, seventeen-year-old Hester meets a mysterious stranger named Ezra and feels overwhelmingly, inexplicably drawn to him. For generations, love has resulted in death for the women in her family. Is it an undiagnosed genetic defect . . . or a curse? With Ezra’s help, Hester investigates her family’s strange, sad history. The answers she seeks are waiting in the graveyard, the crypt, and at the bottom of the ocean—but powerful forces will do anything to keep her from uncovering her connection to Syrenka and to the tragedy of so long ago.



Review
I had no idea what to expect with this one. All I knew was that mermaids were involved. I will say it was a very unique read. The storyline was so interesting. The characters did lack for me though.

This one tells the story of Hester and Syernka. Syernka abandons her life underwater once she falls for Ezra. Little does she know abandoning the water isn't going to be as easy as she thinks. Meanwhile in present day, Hester meets a stranger named Ezra. She discovers there is more to the past than she thinks.

I really liked getting to see the past and the present stories. I thought it was cool getting to read both the characters story. I think Syernka was a little more developed than Hester. The story was wrapped around her really and she just seemed bigger. When having two perspectives it really needs to feel like both the characters are important to the story and are equally developed. This lacked that. Hester was only okay. She was a tad annoying at times. I will say I did like how adventurous she was. I also liked that she never gave up. I loved the ties between Syernka and Hester. I liked seeing how things tied together and I thought they each had a unique story.

I had no idea how creepy this was going to be. It honestly scared me so much. I had to take breaks because I was so freaked out. I really loved the history of this story. I thought it as incredibly unique and very well done. I loved all the different things that tied the two characters to each other. It was a little slow in the beginning but it picked up! There was tons of action and suspense. Once I got into it, this was pretty hard to put down. Overall this was an okay read. The characters lacked but the story made up for it. I didn't end up enjoying this too much but I do think others will. If your a fan of scary stories packed with history then this is perfect for you!


Jasmine

1 comment:

  1. I just got Monstrous Beauty from my library! I'm so excited to read it now!

    ReplyDelete