Thursday, April 4, 2013

First Frost by Liz DeJesus Review

First Frost
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Musa Publishing
Source: Author
Stand Alone or first in a possible series
*This was gifted to me by author for review*
Fairytales aren’t real…yeah…that’s exactly what Bianca thought. She was wrong.
For generations, the Frost family has run the Museum of Magical and Rare Artifacts, handing down guardianship from mother to daughter, always keeping their secrets to “family only.”
Gathered within museum’s walls is a collection dedicated to the Grimm fairy tales and to the rare items the family has acquired: Cinderella’s glass slipper, Snow White’s poisoned apple, the evil queen’s magic mirror, Sleeping Beauty’s enchanted spinning wheel…
Seventeen-year-old Bianca Frost wants none of it, dreaming instead of a career in art or photography or…well, anything except working in the family’s museum. She knows the items in the glass display cases are fakes because, of course, magic doesn’t really exist.
She’s about to find out how wrong she is.


Review
I love fairytales! I think retellings are so much fun. I thought this was a fabulous retelling. It was fun and unique and better than I was expecting.

This tells the story of Bianca Frost. She's helped her mom run the family business for all her life. It's a children's museum based on fairytales. Little does Bianca know not everything in the museum is fake. She eventually learns the family secret and gets sucked into another world.

Bianca was a great main character. She had a nice personality. I loved how well she handled everything. She was always so excited to learn more. I loved how strong she was. She was just thrown into this new world with no idea what to do. But, she made the best of it and even learned a few things along the way. Bianca had some great company. Her companions made such a nice addition to the story. The romance was very well done. I liked how it was small but still enough.

You think this is just about one fairytales? Guess again! The story is based around Snow White. But there was a little something for many different fairytales included. I thought that was the coolest ever. This had such a cool concept. It was pretty fast paced with a little action every now and then. I ended up reading it in one sitting. I loved all the adventure. Overall I really enjoyed this one. I'm so glad I got the chance to read it! If your a fan of fairytales this one is for you!



Jasmine

2 comments:

  1. I think the cover is absolutely gorgeous!! I love fairy tale retellings and I've been wanting to read more of them. Thanks for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! I know its so pretty!It fits the book perfectly :). Thanks for stopping by <3

      Delete