Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Great Unexpected by Sharon Creech Review

The Great Unexpected
Reading Level: Middle Grade
Publisher: Harper Collins
Source: Conference
Stand Alone
I had big thoughts to match the big wind. I wondered if we find the people we need when we need them. I wondered if we attract our future by some sort of invisible force, or if we are drawn to it by a similar force. I felt I was turning a corner and that change was afoot.
In the little town of Blackbird Tree live two orphan girls: one Naomi Deane, brimming with curiosity, and her best friend, Lizzie Scatterding, who could talk the ears off a cornfield. Naomi has a knack for being around when trouble happens. For she knows all the peculiar people in town--like Crazy Cora and Witch Wiggins and Mr. Farley. But then, one day, a boy drops out of a tree. The strangely charming Finn boy. Then the Dingle Dangle man appears, asking all kinds of questions. Curious surprises are revealed--three locked trunks, a pair of rooks, a crooked bridge, and that boy. Soon Naomi and Lizzie find themselves zooming toward a future neither could ever have imagined. Meanwhile, on a grand estate across the ocean, an old lady whose heart has been deceived concocts a plan. . . .
As two very different worlds are woven together, Newbery Medal winner Sharon Creech celebrates the gossamer thread that connects us all, and the great and unexpected gifts of love, friendship, and forgiveness.



Review
Yay for middle grade! Okay I'm not sure how I felt about this one honestly. This probably isn't going to be the best review ever. Sorry! I found myself having to push to finish this. I was confused pretty much the whole time. But I know this wasn't written for my age. It's middle grade. I think younger kids would love it. That's the whole point right?

The best thing about middle grade is the characters. Their always super adorable. Naomi was great. I loved her sense of adventure. I loved how mature she was. I liked now she never gave up. She was so determined to solve this mystery. Now Lizzie, I didn't enjoy very much. She's one of those kids you hope you don't act like. There wasn't anything really wrong with her. She just bothered me. Finn was quite the mystery. There wasn't a lot of detail gone into him. I think he was supposed to remain a mystery. Not much was explained about him. By the end of the book I still had no idea who he was.

Like I said earlier it was hard to keep up with this story. I think it was because there was two stories being made into one. I read fast and sometimes I miss things. I was in somewhat of a rush to finish this so I'm not surprised I wasn't sure what happened by the end. The storyline was pretty good. It was very creative. There was a fair bit of action too. If I had to pick me word to describe this book is would be mysterious. Overall this was a little meh for me. It wasn't a bad read at all. I just don't think it was for me. But I do think it would be a great read for younger kids!


Jasmine

1 comment: