Monday, April 30, 2012

Review: Dreaming of Beauty by Kirsten White

Dreaming of Beauty
Reading Level: Young Adult
Self Published
Standalone(?)
*This book was gifted to me in exchange for an honest review*

A three hundred year old curse, a timeless legend, a love strong enough to last forever...

Fifteen year old Chloe Duncan finally has her Prince Charming and her life could not be more perfect. But after she meets a mysterious new boy, Logan Salinger, on the first day of school and is attacked by a woman’s hand that suddenly appears from the supply cabinet in art class, her story-book romance quickly unravels. Certain that the incident in her art class and the other bizarre things that have happened to her are due to an undiagnosed brain tumor, Chloe struggles with school and her relationships. Over the holiday break, during a much needed vacation, she travels to France with her family and it is there, at Manoir de Kergrec’h, the enchanting castle by the sea, that she learns about Camille Deveraux who lived at the manor over three hundred years ago. But things are stranger in France then they were back home, and Chloe soon discovers that she was Camille Deveraux, the real Sleeping Beauty. Now she knows the reason for her strange connection to Logan and she hopes that their love can finally break the curse that has plagued her for over three hundred years.


The story starts off with Chloe Duncan who is finally dating Even the boy she's been in love with forever. Then a guy named Logan comes to town and everything in her life starts falling apart. She starts hallucinating which makes her think she has a brain tumor, she has a strange connection towards Logan and stars pulling away from Even. Eventually she goes on a family trip to France and everything is explained.

I don't really know how I feel about Chloe. I liked her but I just didn't understand some of the deciscions she made. I loved Evan and he was super sweet to Chloe and I didn't get how she would just not love him anymore because some guy showed up. Honestly I didn't like Logan. He annoyed me and I thought it was kind of creepy how obsessed he was with her when at first they didn't even like eachother. But then it's all explained and they were cute in the end though at some points it got a little eye roll inducing.

When the history between Chloe and Logan is explained it's almost like 2 stories in one and I thought that was really interesing. The concept for this story was really different and I had never read a Sleeping Beauty retelling. But I think it could have been done better. It took me a while to see what it had to do with Sleeping Beauty. It ended very open and it made me curious about a sequel. I hope there is one.
3.5/5 stars
-Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment