Thursday, March 8, 2012

Review: Guardians: The Girl by Lola St.Vil

Guardians: The Girl
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Amazon Digital Services
First in a possible series

Emmy - a bookish, witty student - is rescued by six teenaged angels with powers, called Guardians. They've been sent to elicit the secret from her before the demons can. Emmy later learns that her name is the only clue to locating a sought-after bridge that for centuries, Evil has plotted to destroy; this would in turn bring about the end of humanity.

Things get worse when Emmy falls madly in love with Marcus, the well-intentioned but obstinate leader of the Guardians. He eventually confesses that he is in love with her as well. Unfortunately, Marcus has been warned by his clairvoyant and omniscient guide that should he and Emmy get together, the mission will fail and humanity will perish.
I really didn't know what to expect from this book but I was totally blown away. I can say that I'm tired of angel books until the cows come home but every time I read another one I love it. This one was no exception. One of the best things about this book was how different it was from other angel books. There was a different back story and they had different 'gadgets' which I thought were great and every angel had a different power based on their 'Core' which is basically the story of how they died. So I thought all of that was awesome.


I also really liked all the characters. Emmy (I love her name) one of the protagonists is just a normal human and she is thrown into this crazy world and I loved how she handled it like and normal human being would but she was also really strong. One thing I didn't like about her was how fast she said she was in love with Marcus when he was a real jerk to her at first. The other protagonist was Marcus. I really didn't like him at first but when it switched to his POV I understood why he acted the way he did. I actually liked how he tried to fight for his relationship with Ameana even though she knew he had feelings for Emmy. But in the end I was totally team Emmy because Ameana acted like a jealous girlfriend to the point of being violent and that ultimately pushed Marcus away. Jay was probably my favorite character. He was so funny and charming. I also really liked Reese the relationship between Jay and Reese was really cool. I loved the twins Rio and Miku. I loved how Rio wanted to save everybody even though it got him in trouble in the end. Miku was so sweet and nice to Emmy and she really needed that. I even liked Sage.

I don't understand why this book isn't more popular I absolutely loved it. It was fast-paced and there was tons of action and romance. It was just fabulous and I really hope that there's a second one and that I get the chance to read it.
5/5 stars

-Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment