Sunday, November 24, 2013

Dare You To by Katie McGarry Review

Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Source: Bought
Second book in the Pushing the Limits series
Ryan lowers his lips to my ear. "Dance with me, Beth."
"No." I whisper the reply. I hate him and I hate myself for wanting him to touch me again....
"I dare you..."

If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....
Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.
But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all....



Review
I may not have enjoyed this as much as Pushing the Limits but it was still amazing. This author has honestly become one of my favorites. 

This tells the story of Beth. She if forced to live with her uncle. No one at school knows about her past. Ryan has a past of his own. Ryan and Beth aren't exactly friends. Things start to change and it all starts with a dare. 

I think one of the reasons I didn't enjoy this as much was because I had a hard time connecting with Beth. She was a fabulous character. I was glad to get to read her story. I loved how complex and unique she was.  I just couldn't connect with her. I got annoyed with her a few times when it came to Ryan. I had troubles connecting with Ryan as well. I loved his personality. I loved how he didn't give up. I did end up really loving Beth and Ryan's relationship even though it took awhile. 

One thing I really loved about this story was that I had to wait to see how things would turn out. There is absolutely no predicting with this one. I loved how complex the story was. Ryan and Beth both had complex pasts. I loved getting to know them and seeing them grow together. I was the happiest person ever when we got to see Noah, Echo, and Isaiah. Overall I may not have enjoyed this as much as the first book but it was still amazing. I'm so glad I got to read it! 

Jasmine

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree that Pushing the Limits was better than this one, if only by a little. I think, for me too, it was about being able to relate to these characters. They're on opposite ends of the spectrum, really, and so that made it hard to relate with either, but especially Beth. She was just really hard to connect with, because of her tough girl attitude. But I ended up really enjoying their characters and romance later on as well.

    Lovely review, Jasmine! I can't wait to see what you think of Crash Into You!! <3

    ReplyDelete